Stock Busa VS. Liter bikes.

Ron223

Registered
I just got in from several hours of riding with a couple buddies who have Gixxa 1000's. My Busa is actually still in the break-in period as well as me getting acquainted to it. Their liter bikes are well broken in... Riding with them today has really made me want to start on my mod list! Those damn liter bikes are quick! Now in fairness I was trying to be conscious of my RPM since I just broke 500 miles on the new engine today so I don't think I ever let it get over 1000 rpm which is still higher then I was supposed to... But I didn't like it! Lol.

When I get past my break in and can wind the gears out will those bikes be an issue? Or will I still need mods for them? And what's up with the stock windscreen?! It directs the airstream straight into your face! My one buddy is still sitting up until 140-150 where I have to lay down at 100... Granted he's 230 and i'm 185 but damn! A double bubble is a must i see. I got to feel some of her torque as she pulled today and assume as I'm able to rev higher I should pull away a lot quicker. It killed me to have to shift trying not to rev to high and let them pull up on me! Lol.

What is your experience with the liter bikes?

I went faster in the 8th mile on a stock motor 1k than I did a stock motor busa.

I kinda expect the 1k to be a problem off the line, especially for a stock Busa just by design of the two. They shouldn't walk me down though and I think that's likely because I was really trying to be mindful of my rev range. I'm supposed to keep it under 5,500 for the first 600 miles. I know I went up to around 1k rpm several times. The bike felt great though! Can't wait to finish the break in! Only complaint is the breaks. I will be upgrading them. The seem to take more space then I'd like to stop from high speeds.

You know, there is whole other school of thought that you should break in your bike as you plan to ride it. The theory is that if you baby it, the rings will never fully seat properly. You might want to google it...it may change your mind about how you're riding.

The other thing to consider is that your buddies are all used to riding their bikes fast. Even after you break in the busa, it will take some time for you to gain the confidence to truly open her up. When she pulls, it's hard to hang on!

You know, there is whole other school of thought that you should break in your bike as you plan to ride it. The theory is that if you baby it, the rings will never fully seat properly. You might want to google it...it may change your mind about how you're riding.

The other thing to consider is that your buddies are all used to riding their bikes fast. Even after you break in the busa, it will take some time for you to gain the confidence to truly open her up. When she pulls, it's hard to hang on!

I will check that out. Thanks. And I do know some of it is that I have to get use to the bike. Though I haven't felt her pull a fraction of what I know she will, I felt enough to know there is an animal inside waiting to be unleashed!

Grip it and rip it!! Your at 500 miles this isn't your daddys oldsmobile.

Lol. I want too! I've just been concerned about the break-in period. I do plan to keep this one for a while so I was just hoping I was doing right but damn it killed me back off when I knew she had plenty more to give! I'll check into the other schools of thought on break in as SO Cal said.

You need to look at the torque curve and stay in it. I'll step out there and say shift around 11.5 K

Today's liter bikes are really no joke. Overall the Hayabusa will have more potential in a straight line but stock for stock there are 1k's that are faster than Busas. Sorry to say it's no longer king of the street, but it's still a fast bike and (in my opinion) a comfortable tourer.

+1

Sent from my busa.

I have both a 1K and a Gen 2 Busa. If both are stock, I think I could give a 1K fits, especially in the 140+ range. But sure not gonna try it on the streets.

You also need to remember that stock busa's come from the factory tuned to meet emissions standards. They are not tuned to produce maximum power. Once you're done pampering your baby, throw on a full exhaust and get the ECU edited and/or throw a Power Commander on her and get her dyno tuned. There's a lot of power hiding in there that you will never experience with the stock tuning.

Never had a problem with them if riders are equal. BUT, the new BMW is no joke!

I'd agree but must also be honest and admit today the riders are not equal. I've got about 500 miles of experience on this 2012 Busa coming from my 750 against 5 years plus for both of them on their 1k's. so as said earlier, as I get more time on her, I'll get more comfortable.

As for the mods suggested, I am definitely planning on them. Especially the ECU flash but it was suggested to me that maybe I should get to know the bike stock first and then also I will be able to appreciate the changes the flash makes. I thought that was pretty sound advice. I plan to do an ECU flash, PCV with Brock 4-2-1 and alien head, BMC air filter, enlarged air intakes and have her tuned as money permits. Oh, and a double bubble is a must!

I guess in starting this thread I was actually surprised at the abilities of the 1k against the Busa even with all things considered. I know there where moments of 140-170mph and they were still beside me. But now I have a mission set before me to kill the 1k's! Lol.

not sure what ur waiting for. the bike is ready to to rip WOT when u get it. the new BMW will put a hurtn on u tho. its a fast bike. so will a zx-10 imo.

If you wanna kill 1000's youve got a long road ahead of you. Im the only guy around where I live with a Busa, I ride mostly with liter bikes and a couple 750's an 6's. Its not impossible but it takes a lot more effort and skill. Like most said on a track on a straight away the busa is good but on the street you are at a distinct disadvantage against smaller, lighter, and quicker bikes. Ive been modding my busa to hang with these bikes and its not cheap or easy. Read up on the mods to make your bike lighter and handle better not to mention upgrading the atrocious braking system. It takes alot of work but its worth it for the look on those guys faces when they can shake you coming in or out of a turn. Sooner or later there is gonna be an open stretch of road and thats when you make em pay :whistle:

Ive had several liter bikes i liked them and my 08 cbr was very fast and nimble but the busa only took one ride and i wouldnt trade it for any liter bike not even the bmw. All that torque is enough to put a smile on everytime

I appreciate all the feedback. I did read some other views as SOcal suggested and many of you and it does seem she's ready to rip now. :)

I appreciate all the feedback. I did read some other views as SOcal suggested and many of you and it does seem she's ready to rip now. :)

My bike was a dealer demo for the first 100 miles. That means it was ridden to the bike nights to show the locals what was at the stealership.

I am sure the dealer stayed below 5,000 rpm for me. Ha ha right I am sure it was wot as he left every parking lot. At over 12000 miles mine is doing great, running a little rich but that is some thing else.

Back