Stock Bar Ends

redbusa04

Registered
Last night I was going to install some new grips and bar ends, but I could not remove the stock bar ends. They are held on with a phillips head bolt that is impossibly tight, I couldn't move it at all. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
-Tim

I had sort of the same problem when I went to install some bar ends. I got one off with a lot of force, but the other one was a little bit tighter. I didn't plan on keeping the stock bar ends, so I took a pair of channel lock pliers and it came off very easy. It's an easy solution, like I said, if you don't plan on keeping the old ones.

Thanks. That's a good idea. I think I'm going to put a screwdriver bit in my impact wrench. That should do it.

Careful with the impact wrench, might rip out the threads, and retapping it would be a PITA

<!--EDIT|shadowjack
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088919960 -->

I took the biggest size Philips I had, and whacked it with a hammer. That worked.

If you own a mororcycle then invest in an impact driver. Its a screwdriver you whack with a hammer to remove screws. You can get them from almost any motrcycle shop for around 20 bucks. That is the proper way to remove screws from a bike that are put in with locktite or torqued by king kong.

I had the same problem when putting on my throttlemiester bar ends. The impact wrench worked perfectly for me. The left side was much easier than the right btw.

# 3 bit is what you need. It worked for me.
smile.gif

i called the dealer when i had a problem with the end grips, he said to try turninng the grip part and not the screw inside so much. it worked great. leave the screw alone till you just grab the end grips with your hand or a rubber kitchen thing used for opening jars and just turn it, sounds funny but it worked like a charm... good luck

Back