Stock 08 Can Polish?

znebula

Registered
Anybody done this?
Not sure if this has been discussed or not--wanted to see if there were any pics if so. Probably going to have it done by a local polishing shop.

Not trying to be a butt,

But the cans on a K8 are mostly covered with some kind of plastic/fiber material. Is it possible to polish this or are you referring to just the last few inches of the exhaust?

Why would you want to spend money on polishing factory cans, just buy new aftermarket exhaust.. and get the benefits of lighter, better sounding, and even more power..:poke:

Actually--that was kinda the "butt" of my question. I am going to have the guy look at to make sure-but I was thinking/hoping it was aluminum and you would just need to machine off the "marks" and the black coating.
And I know (and agree with you)--about the relative look-and sound and performance compared to aftermarket. The diff in weight and overall wtf performance compared to my other current and past bikes is so over the top though--when I do wind up spending a couple grand on a full system and air filter and fuel box.....I want to be able to really know what I stepped up from and exactly what this thing does stock.
As far as the money goes--it would be less that two bills. Keeping me quiet for a while longer won't be bad either. Cops take notice of the straight pipes on my 03 Roadstar-but I'm harmless slow moving chrome and not the extremely dangerous sport bike just waiting to kill children.

Re: Ok-pics it is....

Nearly stock--Seats,no mudflap,minus several stickers and reflectors--buell pegs in the mail

Helmet02.jpg

Helmet03.jpg

You can do a lot better than a couple grand. Just put a Brocks short meg and PCIII on my Gen II for less than $1100 thru the dealer.

Yeah I hear ya--I figure between 1500 and 2 grand when it's all said and done with the full system-dyno module-air filter and tax. (then again-constructive pessimism always has worked well for me) Pretty sure I'll go with duels just for the symetry_but might change my mind when it comes down to it. Def not with any carbon (just not my taste)--and I'm looking for something that goes back a ways toward the tail--and on the quiet side too.
I like loud-but it's also kind of fun to have all that hp undercover style. I went out two up on the Yamaha today--beautiful day in N. CA btw--and it felt like I had no power-no brakes but a whole bunch of sound. Still love the old bike-but damn!

Just put em back on today-tried to do last night but no red locktite. Pretty happy with the results.
Cheers/Jeers anyone?

pipepolish01.jpg

pipepolish03.jpg

Thanks--yeah I'm diggin it.
The hardest part was getting the end caps off and the little spot welds that held them on. I tried using a round type bit(dremmel)- but found a little more control with a small cutting wheel. I ended up grinding into the head of the screws -so I replaced them with some chrome ones from the hardware store.
Once the end caps were off-it was just a matter of taking the muffler sections off and bringing them to the polisher. The black finish seemed like just a brushed alum. with some kind of anodizing-so it polished right up. He did comment on his arms getting tired from holding the things up.

Back