Stinky Gloves...

eynlai

Registered
Okay, this topic COULD NOT lead into a debate or argument.

Anyone know, or have successful sanitized/clean out the inside of leather gloves?

With all of the perspiration and moisture (from riding in the rain
smile.gif
) my hands are coming out smelling funny. These Alpinestar GP Plus are my second pair. First pair I had to abandon only after less than 6 months of use because they got a bit too stinky. They were Alpinestars too, the SP-3 I think.

Other than the $$$ spent on quality gloves each time, I really don't want to break in a new pair anytime soon if I don't have to.

Gold Bond powder
perhaps
Foot powder
perhaps
Baby powder

I would gold bond or foot powder should do the trick speaking of which my feet feel a little damp and snifff sniff, yep, I could use some powder myself or time for new slippers.

Throw them in the wash on cold cycle and hang them up to dry.

Stinky hands huh??
i know what you mean. i have a leather watch band and it also smells bad when it gets wet.  previous watches that were synthetic leather or something like it, didnt smell. this really smells, however my sister thinks the smell is okay.. maybe its an aquired smell. :-)

for my gloves. i have field sheer racing gloves (prod #85377)which have a polyster inner and leather outer shell..  no bad smell.. i am guessing becuase of the polyster inner shell. also the have tiny holes in the gloves to make them breatheable but this also makes it too cold in the winter.

good luck.

<!--EDIT|kkattan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133494963 -->

does they stink like you or leather? geez, it sounds funny...
smile.gif

I mean is that leather or your sweat?
You can use deodorant , you know , white with talc. You can keep it in your hump, well, not yours, your bike`s hump...
powder can make big mess, deodorant much better.

Time to bring in the experts... Pacman...Your giant feet stink a lot ...Whats the solution....

Its no use asking about gloves .. none big enough...
laugh.gif

I read about this approach once concerning weight lifting gloves. Haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense.

Put your gloves in a plastic bag, wrap it up tight and put it in the freezer for a day or two. The cause of the smell is bacteria and the freezing kills 'em.
idea.gif

The plastic bag keeps the rest of the food in the freezer from absorbing the smell of the gloves until the bacteria die.

If you try it, let us know how it works!

smile.gif

Gold Bond powder
perhaps
Foot powder
perhaps
Baby powder

I would gold bond or foot powder should do the trick speaking of which my feet feel a little damp and snifff sniff,  yep, I could use some powder myself   or time for new slippers.
Sounds like an idea. I suppose my hands will come out all white like I had a cocaine party for the first few wears, but worth a try.

does they stink like you or leather? geez, it sounds funny...
smile.gif

I mean is that leather or your sweat?
You can use deodorant , you know , white with talc. You can keep it in your hump, well, not yours, your bike`s hump...
powder can make big mess, deodorant much better.
hhahaha, I'm one of those that barely sweat... but it adds up.

I read about this approach once concerning weight lifting gloves. Haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense.

Put your gloves in a plastic bag, wrap it up tight and put it in the freezer for a day or two. The cause of the smell is bacteria and the freezing kills 'em.
idea.gif

The plastic bag keeps the rest of the food in the freezer from absorbing the smell of the gloves until the bacteria die.

If you try it, let us know how it works!

smile.gif
It might be crazy enough to work. I'll try it tonight since I won't be riding this weekend. I'll try this first, then the goldbond or baby powder next.

I'll let you all know. You all can't tell me your gloves don't smell a bit funky after about 5 months or pretty constant wearing.

I used to wear leather gloves 8 hours a day (working in a warehouse) and yup -- you get hand odor just like you get foot odor -- same bacteria I guess. Same problem you get wearing shoes without socks. We just grabbed new gloves as they were cheap. Let me know if the freezing stuff works as I didnt find foot powder did. We need to invent hand socks
umnik.gif

I use Baking soda to absorb the moisture out of them and they also smell alot better. I take it to an extreme when I do this treatment. I buy a box of A&H and just pour it into the gloves and let them sit like that over nite.. Doing this when they are soaking wet mite not be best,,

But I always buy 2 pairs of gloves when I find a good fitting set and I never wear the same pair consecutively. But not everyone is like me..

Give the baking soda a shot... and the podwer idea sounds good to me as well.. I have also heard of peeps soaking them in woolite and hang dry.

I'll let you all know.  You all can't tell me your gloves don't smell a bit funky after about 5 months or pretty constant wearing.
Use a bag with a good seal or you might end up inventing a new flavor of ice cream  
biggrin.gif
  Funky Chunky Monkey perhaps...
hahahah... But I'm back from trying the freezer approach. I let it in there overnight till the next afternoon... in a sealed plastic bag so I don't invent some Funky Chunky Monkey flavor throw-up ice cream. At first I sniffed and sniffed... I smell nothing, but that was right after it came out. Then after it lost some of the coldness, the slight hint of that funkiness came back.

I just got them out of my "bat cave" as I'm typing this... And yes, I can smell some more of that funkiness.

So I guess either those bacterias got themselves some thermal coats, or they came back to life.

I guess there's really no "clean" way around it.

Back