Still no start...somebody save me.

jstdoit95

Registered
I've had a couple of posts now, still no start on my 03, I've bypassed the power commander same result...fuel pump come on...bike cranks but no fire at all..after cranking a while it will throw f1 c24-27. I bought another ecu no change, no backfires no pops no hint of combustion. Looking for methods to check or direction in what to do I really need to get it fired up.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Haven't read your other threads, but did the bike sit for a period between starts? My suggestions would be to check the voltage on the battery (before and during start), check the fuel pressure, and clean the connectors on the wiring harness.

pull a plug...try to fire with plug out...do you get spark? check all of them like this. if you have spark on all of them you have a fuel problem. If the bike sat for a while i would guess plugged fuel filter...if it hasnt sat for a while and the pump is priming you need to check the fuel pressure at the rail. If you dont have spark then you have an electrical problem. Check stator, pickups etc.

[video=youtube_share;FSv9LJlrtcs]http://youtu.be/FSv9LJlrtcs[/video] a video of turning it over with plug out...I'm thinking safe to assume no spark?

Ok...it has spark...and I can hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key, but I have noticed I never noticed a fuel smell even when I crank forever...I pulled the pump first thing and checked the filter bag and it was clean..is there another pump?

check the rail for fuel pressure...needs to be roughly 40....you may hear the pump prime but that doesnt mean its pumping. may have bad internals.

Not trying to be a jerk here but it seems your problem may be more complicated than can be troubleshot here within a reasonable amount of time. I would recommend bringing the bike to a motorcycle repair shop/dealer and have them take a look. They will have the tools and skills to figure it out quickly.

Ok...it has spark...and I can hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key, but I have noticed I never noticed a fuel smell even when I crank forever...I pulled the pump first thing and checked the filter bag and it was clean..is there another pump?
Did we get a surprise with the spark ? You need to clean out the fuel system. If you put a drop of gas down each throttle body I bet it fires and dies.

Make sure that battery is fully charged. I understand that the fuel injectors will not operate below a certain voltage. It sounded a little weak

Put a full charge on still no go...sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle bodies and it showed its first sign of life...but no more so obviously it's a fuel delivery problem...I'd like to start at the rail and work my way to the tank...any input on how to do this? I don't see a spot on the rail to put a gauge on like you would a car.

To test the pump, just remove the fuel line from the tank then clamp the pressure test gauge on the bottom of the pump!

Ok...I'd like someone to check my work before I go through the hassle of draining my tank and pulling it apart...I went to the parts store with a loan a tool and got a test kit..since the bike doesn't have a valve to tap into I unhooked at the tank and clamped a hose to the outlet to the t adapter that was in the kit and capped off the other side of the T... hit the key and I can hear the pump but the gauge doesn't even flinch...I made a video too if anyone needs to see it...I just want to make sure the way I hooked it up is acceptable...is it possible the pump is bad even though I can hear it? One other thing that I'm not sure I mentioned...when just trying to crank it, if I open the throttle while cranking it I notice a significant draw in power from the starter. Thanks!!!

replace the fuel pump. your test should have been fine..if you didnt get 40+ pounds of pressure the pump is not working properly.

I think I may have it guys...when I pulled my tank back off yesterday I thought I heard something rattling, but as I carried over to my work area the sleeve for the tank mounting bolt fell out and I thought maybe that was it, I gave the tank a shake and didn't hear the rattle and thought nothing else of it, took apart and reassembled the fuel pump put it all back together tried it again and still nothing...so I was reading through the service manual and realized I didn't remember ever seeing the fuel pressure regulator...I took my tank off and at first couldn't hear or see anything but after draining and some rough shaking it came free...I've done some research and I guess the clip for the regulator is prone to failing...so fingers crossed I'm going to check with a dealer to see what I all need to order to get that clip but hopefully that will be my fix!

I once had a fuel issue (bad gas straight from the pump). I went through complete diagnostcs with a multimeter and whatnot and the dyno appointment I had set up that weekend told me to bring it down anyways. Not only did I drive 4 hours to dyno and tune... but I got my bike running again. :thumbsup:

Back