Stick With The Original Rectifier?

The Tekken

Banned
I have about 12k on my '08 and not had a problem with the rectifier. Now I am reading all these threads by people who have had problems with the new ones. Sooooo...is it worth getting a new one even if it is for free?

I have about 12k on my '08 and not had a problem with the rectifier. Now I am reading all these threads by people who have had problems with the new ones. Sooooo...is it worth getting a new one even if it is for free?

Given the choice again... I wouldn't have done it....:whistle:

I'm in the exact same situation. 13.5k on K8 with no issues. I have no idea if i should get it done or hold out till i (if ever) have an issue with it.

They arent that expensive to buy if yours does go bad. Just decide if it is worth the hassle or not

They arent that expensive to buy if yours does go bad. Just decide if it is worth the hassle or not

Kinda how I am thinking. I never ride that far from home these days, so I figure the worst that can happen is it goes bad and I buy another one. Thanks.

Kinda how I am thinking. I never ride that far from home these days, so I figure the worst that can happen is it goes bad and I buy another one. Thanks.

If it does go bad later on and you haven't had the recall done yet it will still be under recall technically because it was never performed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only one thread I've seen where the new unit went bad. A couple others posted in it same thing happened to them. So you have maybe a handful of folks who had problems out of hundreds if not thousands who have not.
Remember if you read the recall one of the main cautions and worries was fire not just it quitting on you. I'm one of the ones who had 10k on his bike and it was perfect. Didn't want to touch it but also didn't want it to melt down or catch fire by the roadside.
Take Suzuki up on their offer of a new part for free. Chances are it will be fine.

Alright there's been a few problems pop up due to a lack of ability on the folks swapping rectifiers. I had absolutely nothing but a good experience. I also hesitated bc I had an '08 with over 18K original battery no issues. Haven't had any issues since the swap either.

I guess you need to know that the dealership is reputable and doesn't throw his tire changing bike washing oil changing guy on the recall.

No issues with mine old 1 & no issues so far with the new 1. I had over 23k on the clock plus oem battery but since Zuki was doing the free replacement I said why not. My thoughts were if the new 1 went bad I'd just put the original no issue one back on, since the mechanic let me keep it. It was a win win situation for me I can definitely say.

I had no problems with the old one, but since I heard that some of them had problems I went for it, so far its all good and I hope it stays that way.

My old one killed my battery in less than 1100 miles, so yeah, new one for me.
The ONLY problems so far with the new ones have been due to improper installation. And if that was the case, I'd still rather have the dealership screw it up so its their hide if something goes wrong. Now as far as running the old one, yeah the rectifier is cheap, but a new battery isn't. Not to mention being stranded somewhere. Remember, when these things go, they just go. No warning, nothing. I got a little "notice" of mine being bad because it almost always seemed like my battery was low on voltage. No matter how long it was on the charger, or how far I rode, it still "growled" at me to start (if you know what I mean.)
My battery was replaced as well as the rectifier at the dealership both under warranty/recall.. I'd definitely take my chances on the new one over the old one. There has to be more failures than we know of or else you know darn well Suzuki wouldn't have recalled them.. :beerchug:

Not sure if mine has been replaced. Guess i should call a dealer with my VIN and check up on it. Bought it used..

Alright there's been a few problems pop up due to a lack of ability on the folks swapping rectifiers.

AMEN........a very important point!!!

N.B. As GsxrBots above pointed out: Would Suzuki really cave in to a recall (and the accompanying bad press and cost) if the old one was OK? :whistle:

I have 16K on my 08 and had mine changed and so far I have not had any trouble with it. It seems most of the trouble is with the installer. Just a thought

16,200 miles on original rectifier. I don't trust the dealership in my town, so I have chosen to just go with what I have and hope for the best. You'd think if it were going to fail, it would have by now!?

Remember if you read the recall one of the main cautions and worries was fire not just it quitting on you. I'm one of the ones who had 10k on his bike and it was perfect. Didn't want to touch it but also didn't want it to melt down or catch fire by the roadside.
I always value your advice Blanca, but nowhere on my recall notice from Suzuki does it mention fire!

Having said that, enough members whose opinions I value have convinced me to have the recall work done.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Since the Gen II came out I remember seeing quite a few posts of 'em failing-most right away but a few after a while and a couple where they did catch on fire. I'd say only a very small percentage failed but it's the risk of fire that forced the recall. Of the failures of the replacement they're all due to incorrect installation that I've seen. Sure sucks that in this "service oriented economy" ya can't trust a dealer to replace a plug and play rectifier without fuggin' it up. I'd say get it replaced but check the routing of the wire before and after to make sure it's routed and wire tied correctly.

so.. i've got 38k on the original rectifier k8 model.. say i decide not to get it replaced(i havent actually received a letter about it) and for whatever reason it DOES catch on fire.. then what is suzuki offering to do about it?
i mean, that could melt plastics and stuff

Back