Stepped up to High Def

you all make me mad.... i've had a 32" sony trinitron tv that i bought like 10 or 11 years ago that i'm still watching today... been working on the wife to get a new tv for years and so far no luck... I WANT HD BAD!!!!

(BigGeorge @ Nov. 28 2006,11:59)
(vinnycr2 @ Nov. 28 2006,05:20) Here is a pic of our new toy.
Congrats, Vinny.

Is that a Cox Cable box or Comcast?
Thanks George.

It's a cox High def box and I'm using the component cables. Cox is the only cable provider for all of Rhode Island.

The tv has a DVI only connection which is basically the same as HDMI but without the sound. The cable guy said that the model converter that they use has sporadic problems with the HDMI to DVI connection and said that the Component cables will work and look just as good.

(PDBusa @ Nov. 28 2006,11:36) Waiting on mine. Should be in today. Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD projection hi-def. Biggest that would fit in entertainment center.
I got it for under a grand... $999.99.
SHOCKED.gif

Just waiting for phone to ring...
Good luck with your Wega. They are well built tv's. I delivered a few of the older units. They weighed a ton!!!

(heavybusa @ Nov. 27 2006,22:00) Congrats!!! (post a pic)

I scored the 42 inch panasonic plasma 3am at circuit city, but now I think I may want a 50 (or bigger) instead.

So it is in my dining room still in the box.

Killing me but I am not sure what to do.
Greg,

Go with what fits your room! Mine is in a 12 X 24 room. The tv is actully about 15 feet from where it is watched the most.

I think even if I could afford a bigger set it would not be practical for the size room that I have.

I delivered a 67" tv where it was placed an 8 X 10 room. I said to the guy dude your going to go blind watching this thing in this room!

I really want to get some HD toys, especially an HDTV. The only reason I have not is because I went back to school a couple of years ago and that eating up a lot of play money.

I am sure all the money I have spent in the last couple of years is buying someone something nice for Christmas.

(vinnycr2 @ Nov. 28 2006,17:45)
(BigGeorge @ Nov. 28 2006,11:59)
(vinnycr2 @ Nov. 28 2006,05:20) Here is a pic of our new toy.
Congrats, Vinny.

Is that a Cox Cable box or Comcast?
Thanks George.

It's a cox High def box and I'm using the component cables. Cox is the only cable provider for all of Rhode Island.

The tv has a DVI only connection which is basically the same as HDMI but without the sound. The cable guy said that the model converter that they use has sporadic problems with the HDMI to DVI connection and said that the Component cables will work and look just as good.
Lies! He's outta his mind. The Cox HD boxes are horrible to begin with and they should be shot for renting them to customers. Walk into Best Buy switch to DirecTV HD. They'll give you a killer deal and you'll never look back at cable again. Trust me.

(BigGeorge @ Nov. 28 2006,11:56)
(badassbusa03 @ Nov. 27 2006,20:38)
bowdown.gif

super.gif

I have a 65" HD ready TV. I have an HD DSS receiver. Wife wont spend $10 a month for HD service. says there arent enough channels to keep HD.  
firedevil.gif
If you have a HD TV and you're running a standard cable wire or Composite Cables (RCA cables) you're picture quality is TERRIBLE because you're sending an analog signal to the TV. If you buy a HD box, you don't have to buy HD service. But the benefit will be that the box will have component cable connections - which when running an analog signal will give you the absolute best picture quality. I have the 56" JVC DILA and have tested both HDMI and component connections to find the best quality picture. Because there are only a handful of HD channels from DirecTV I'm getting most channels  in digital. And because HDMI looks for a HD signal for optimal picture quality, the digital channels look "grainy". Not so with component wires... the picture quality is superb.

You absolutely need quailty cables too. Don't beleive otherwise. Monster 1000 series cables are tremendous and well worth the investment.

Finally, if you watch a lot of DVD's and you don't want to shell out the money for a HD DVD player, you can buy an upconvert DVD player - usually less than $100. They quality is as close to HD as possible with spending over $500 on a HD DVD player. Or, if you have an XBOX 360, the HD DVD player for XBOX 360 was released last week. It plugs directly into the 360 and is $199. You can enjoy all the HD movies available now for less than paying for a stand-alone HD DVD player.

rca_cable.gif
component.gif
HDMI2.gif
i am using the monster1000 composite cables (RBG & stereo). my Mitsubishi 65" is a 2003 model, and was the last year before they started the HDMI connections. Cant really afford to upgrade to a newer 65" HD for just that connection.
crazy.gif

(BigGeorge @ Nov. 28 2006,11:56)
(badassbusa03 @ Nov. 27 2006,20:38)
bowdown.gif

super.gif

I have a 65" HD ready TV. I have an HD DSS receiver. Wife wont spend $10 a month for HD service. says there arent enough channels to keep HD.  
firedevil.gif
If you have a HD TV and you're running a standard cable wire or Composite Cables (RCA cables) you're picture quality is TERRIBLE because you're sending an analog signal to the TV. If you buy a HD box, you don't have to buy HD service. But the benefit will be that the box will have component cable connections - which when running an analog signal will give you the absolute best picture quality. I have the 56" JVC DILA and have tested both HDMI and component connections to find the best quality picture. Because there are only a handful of HD channels from DirecTV I'm getting most channels  in digital. And because HDMI looks for a HD signal for optimal picture quality, the digital channels look "grainy". Not so with component wires... the picture quality is superb.

You absolutely need quailty cables too. Don't beleive otherwise. Monster 1000 series cables are tremendous and well worth the investment.

Finally, if you watch a lot of DVD's and you don't want to shell out the money for a HD DVD player, you can buy an upconvert DVD player - usually less than $100. They quality is as close to HD as possible with spending over $500 on a HD DVD player. Or, if you have an XBOX 360, the HD DVD player for XBOX 360 was released last week. It plugs directly into the 360 and is $199. You can enjoy all the HD movies available now for less than paying for a stand-alone HD DVD player.

rca_cable.gif
component.gif
HDMI2.gif
Great info george!!

I too, have a 65" mitsu ws-65869 model, purchased in 2002, great picture, built in hd tuner, no HDMI though, (I too got screwed with mitsu and their promise module crap that never panned out. that's what I get for buying technology as it emerges) wish i could pic up the hd signals here in sticks MD.  Back in OKC it was no problem. as for the HD antenna, don't waste your money on a HD antenna, chances are it's just a crappy antenna marketed towards idiots. your best bet is to get a regular UHF/VHF antenna if you can fit on your house, it is the frequency band HD content is transmitted on over the air(OTA) broadcast.  

I am picking up the HD player to go with my X360, that will tide me over till they improve the technology and figure out the format completely for the next gen DVD. Even better, hopefully they improve the readers to do both on one unit. (they've made a chip that will do both processes)

We had agreed to replace our Toshiba 36" with a new set when it crapped out. She said whatever it was it better fit into the cabinet we already had which meant 40" or smaller.

I waited forever and gave up. My wife had a wedding to go to in April 06' in TX. I bought a 50" Sony rear projection DLP in January on sale and hid it in the storage unit where we keep our boat. I had an entertainment center built out of Brazillian Alderwood to my specs and finished by a local shop and hid that too. Bought a 120x7 Yamaha amp to replace the 5.1 I had and buried that also. Ordered the HD DVR cable box. Within minutes of her leaving I tore the house apart and put it all together over the few days I had. Man I love my TV...

My 7 year old daughter new about everything and didn't say a word for 4 months. I threatened she'd never watch TV again if she even hinted anything.

She came home and the only thing she said was "where is my entertainment center". It's still in the storage unit waiting to come back if we ever build our addition. I figured I could really piss her off and stick a nice Saltwater aquarium in it... I really hate it, it is "real" wood no laminate but kinda country looking and I just don't like it.

She never once bitched about the new TV or even asked how much it all cost. The cabinet cost me more than the TV.

Did I mention I love my TV.

Oh, and since I had it built to my specs a 60" will fit even with the speakers on the sides in case the 50" ever dies...

Back