Stepped into Sport bike after 20 years on Street Bikes.

MetalSpine

Registered
Greets to all..

After 20+ years of street bikes, finally stepped into the sport bike world. Last ride was a Valkyrie 10 years ago.. loved them enough to own 3 of them over the years.

Decided to try a Hayabasu on for size. Love it so far. Gen 1 '06 stocker.. for now.

Here to learn, then hopefully share.

Cheers.

06 was a good year. Mine is approaching 70,000 miles and I have no complaints. BTW, I've always considered my Busa to be a street bike.:) The big Valks are considered big cruiser/touring rigs aren't they?

Always wonder what it feels like to come from a big, heavy cruiser and that first ride on a Busa. That must be a revelation!

Well the Valk was highly modified.. it had plenty of ponies. But the Busa has instant on blow your eyes out of their sockets speed. Difference is pronounced, but each feels special in a unique way.

I am giving the Hayabusa a lot of respect, she feels like a horse that could buck and bolt if you give her a half a chance. Don't really want to be dusting myself off because I don't know how to effectively control her.

I am giving the Hayabusa a lot of respect, she feels like a horse that could buck and bolt if you give her a half a chance.

The good news about the Busa is that she can be very violent if you ask her to be but she is also very understanding and forgiving when you realize you might have bit off more throttle than you can chew.. We have all been there at least twice!

Congrats on the buy and Welcome

:welcome:

... We have all been there at least twice!

Welcome to sportbike riding !!

My first bike, which I still have, is a cruiser (Boulevard C50). After ridding it for a year I bought a '02 Busa.

I had never ridden any sportbike before and you are right, it's a really different delivery of power.

Glad you enjoy your bike, have fun and hold on tight with your legs !!

Hello MetalSpine,

Welcome to the group…

I had to think long and hard before I responded to your post

I've had a few Valkyries… I love the bike… I am aware of its reputation as a hot rod cruiser with excellent cornering and turning in abilities because of the low center of gravity and massive amounts of torque

My first instinct was to tell you to immediately sell the Hayabusa

Because;

1. Your forum name indicates a medical procedure which may hinder your ability to effectively ride and control the machine

2. Plus a 10-year hiatus in riding coupled with your previous cruiser bike/ "street bike" experience

However, upon further consideration ("whom am I to spoil the party")

My best advice to you would be

Respect the Power and Performance of This Machine at All Times… It Can Easily Get Away from You!!!

Grip Tight with Your Knees… Like You're Riding a Horse

Learn to Trail Break and Perfect Your Counter Steering Technique

That should get you off to a good start getting to know your Hayabusa and your own limits

I hope this helps and I'm sure there's a few other people that will chime in

Welcome again

Looking forward to reading your future posts

Yours truly,

SR 71

Back