Step by Step Cleaning Process Of The Chain

Guclu

TurkishRiders.Org
Donating Member
Registered
Is there a picture guide about this process , I check the net only find some other racing bikes but not the busas ...

thanks ...

what i do is put mine on the rear stand spin the tire and use a light coat os wd 40 with a automotive like tooth brush to get the grime off and then use a rag over the chain and spin it again trying to get excess wd off. then i have my chain lube and spin the tire again and spray a light coat on it do the rag trick again and take it off the stand and go for a small ride and come back and wipe all the excess of the sides off the swingarm
make sure you dont get the tire though bad juju

what i do is put mine on the rear stand spin the tire and use a light coat os wd 40 with a automotive like tooth brush to get the grime off and then use a rag over the chain and spin it again trying to get excess wd off. then i have my chain lube and spin the tire again and spray a light coat on it do the rag trick again and take it off the stand and go for a small ride and come back and wipe all the excess of the sides off the swingarm
make sure you dont get the tire though bad juju
What he said...

thanks for the quick replies , my dealer said , the bike doesn't need this process while in break-in time , is this true ?

<!--EDIT|Guclu
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137365051 -->

your chain always needs attention...it is just as important to look at on a regular basis as your tire pressure, oil level, brake fluid ect. ect. are...

Also, the best time to lube your chain is when the chain is hot, right after a ride.Lube it after cleaning, but lube it again after your first ride and let it sit for a while.

I try to lube my chain every 300miles and clean it every 600miles.

The only thing different about your chain during break in is that it will stretch a little. After a couple adjustments it shouldn't stretch anymore.

yes i am sorry i forgot to mention that there is a kit that makes cleaning the chain easier but i forgot who makes it i will do some research and get back to you

I do a similar process as stated above, but I use kerosene (K1) instead of the WD-40.

I have a spray bottle with the K1 in it and I spray a section of chain and then scrub off the grime with a toothbrush. Then I spray it again with K1 to get off the loosened grime. After thoroughly cleaning with the K1, I blast it with water, let dry and then lube with Maxima Chain Wax.

It's a bit of work, but keeps the chain and sprockets happy!
smile.gif

what  i  do  is  put mine on the rear stand  spin the tire and use a light coat os wd 40  with a automotive like tooth brush  to get the grime off  and  then  use a rag over the chain  and spin it again  trying to get excess wd off.  then i  have  my  chain lube and spin the tire again  and spray a light coat on it  do  the rag  trick again  and take it off the stand and go for a small  ride  and come back and wipe  all  the  excess  of  the  sides off the swingarm
make sure you  dont get the tire  though  bad  juju
What he said...
what thay said.........
smile.gif

ok i know i am going to get made fun of for this but i use honda pro lube for mine along with the honda srpay polish for the rest of melrin

I do a similar process as stated above, but I use kerosene (K1) instead of the WD-40.

I have a spray bottle with the K1 in it and I spray a section of chain and then scrub off the grime with a toothbrush.  Then I spray it again with K1 to get off the loosened grime.  After thoroughly cleaning with the K1, I blast it with water, let dry and then lube with Maxima Chain Wax.

It's a bit of work, but keeps the chain and sprockets happy!  
smile.gif
+1

I do the same thing except before I apply Maxima, I ride for 10 minutes and then bring her in for some chain lube/wax. I only clean every 600 mi but lube every 300.

all my years on offshore drilling rig we use diesel #2 on our chains. chains that pull 500 tons of pipe at one shot, and these chains look like they just came out the crate. So i used diesel on my bike chain and it works perfect for cleaning. also diesel has oil in it so you can clean and oil your chain at same time.....also dirt and road grime doesnt stick to metal when diesel is present..i havent cleaned my chain in over 2000 miles, nor lubed it. never had too, diesel works wonders!!!!

I clean my CRF250r and CRF450r dirtbike chain after every ride, here is the process. I use a pressure washer to clean my bikes, but first i use some degreaser and spray it on the chain and sprockets, then i pressure wash the heck out of it and i repeat the process about 3 times then i use carb cleaner to get the remaining junk off the sprockets and chain. I do this until the sprocket and chain look brand new(no oil what-so-ever) Then i use Maxima CLEAR chain wax, and be sure to spray in the direction of the ground and not spray chain lube directly on the sprockets or swingarm(do this by spraying under the swingarm where there is nothing behind the chain for overspray to get on). My chain and sprockets always look brand new clean.
On my sportbikes, i do the same thing, but not after every ride. About once a week, to keep it looking new. My .02
Gator

Back