Stem breaking on front stand

HT_USMC

Registered
I purchased a decent set of Lockhart Phillips front and rear stands about a year ago. Since then, I've gone through 2 stems on my front stand.

The first use was a breeze and I was glad I made the purchase. The second use, was again, a pleasure. The third use, I noticed however, that my stem was bent.

I compared it to other stems that came with the stand and it was very noticeably warped. However, I needed to do some maintenance so I continued on. I got really lucky with this use. As I lowered the bike off the front stand (with the rear stand still supporting the bike) the bike shifted funny so I stopped everything. After further inspection, the stem had snapped right at the point where the base and the neck meet.

I carefully removed everything and took the stem back to the shop where I made the purchase. After a little bit of complaining and reminding them I had used the stand only 3 times in a 3 week period I convinced them to yield a new stem.

This time more skeptical, I compared the stem prior to it's first use. Perfectly straight, much like the other stems I am not using. After just the single use however, bent about 5 to 10 degrees off center. Another 2 uses and again it snapped - though I was prepared for it this time.

So I guess my question is this: Is the weight of the Busa such that I need a specialized stem made specifically for the Busa? When I purchased the Lockhart Phillips, I specifically asked for a front & rear stand that would support a Hayabusa. I thought that's what I got but it appears to be anything but.

I'm considering purchasing a PitBull stem and giving it a try as the stands I currently own work perfectly. Thoughts?

Well, heres what my cheap a55 uses and never had a problem with it breaking, scratching my fender because the front end is dropped 1.25"  or fearing the bike will tip over when in use.

Good Ole jack stands to the rescue !

DSC03246.jpg

I just place the jackstand underneath these tabs located on bothside of  the block. I got this tip from a local MC mechanic.
DSC03248.jpg

I'm glad you posted this, I am going to be getting a front stand soon. Definately not the ones that lift by the forks. So that left me with lockhart phillips and pit bull. Pit bull is more $$$, and I was leaning towards LHP. Now I definately going pit bull, unless someone has been using LHP front stand many times with no problems...

Use PitBull stands and Handy stands. Guess it all depends on what type of maintenance you plan to do. The PitBull NewFront stand works well unless your bike is lowered.

The Pin for the Pit Bull has an "offset" to it for the Suzuki. It actually has a small angle from where it leaves the stand, and the part that mates with the lower triple. If the L_P does not have the correct angle, that could be putting too much strain on the pin, causing it to break.

(Glyn @ Dec. 12 2006,15:55) The Pin for the Pit Bull has an "offset" to it for the Suzuki. It actually has a small angle from where it leaves the stand, and the part that mates with the lower triple. If the L_P does not have the correct angle, that could be putting too much strain on the pin, causing it to break.
Great info and thanks!

Assuming the pitbull pin fits the Lockhart Phillips, it's a $10 fix. I'll be getting that asap - Charles, I'll keep you posted, brutha.

I've got the PB new front stand and it works fine as long as you put the pin in the correct direction. It looks straight, but as mentioned has a slight angle to it. I've used it lots of times with no problems. It does appear to be heat treated.

I have a Suzuki rear stand, and after getting my hands on the PB I would absolutely buy the PB rear if I had it do to over again.

Back