Steering stabilizers

mokaw

Registered
I understand Busa's come with a steering stabilizer. I have a 2012 ZX-14R and they don't come from the factory with one. Don't know why. When I get on it really hard in 3rd gear at about 110 mph, I get some headshake because the front tire is just skimming the pavement. I ordered a Hyperpro from Motomummy June 2nd and they said it will take about 4-6 weeks. Got an e-mail from them a couple days ago and now they say it will be at least another 4 weeks because they're waiting on installation kits. The Hyperpro is $396 which I thought was a good price and I've seen good reviews on them. Does anyone know of any other good ones that aren't priced crazy (like Brock-Ohlin for over $700 for my bike) and work real good?

I use a GPR V4 on mine on top of my stock stabilizer. You are not supposed to use them together but I tune the GPR constantly to road conditions and speed. Works well past 160 on my new bird. I payed a tad under 500 for mine. I believe they come with a lifetime seal and oil service. Just send it back and get it refreshed every few years.

I removed my damper, I just grew some shoulders and hang on to it . . .
I have never had any head shake or wobbles from landing wheelies etc . . . ever.
I found the damper caused too much drag in the steering and the bike weaved a bit in a straight line.
Removing it improved the handling/steering a lot.

I removed my damper, I just grew some shoulders and hang on to it . . .
I have never had any head shake or wobbles from landing wheelies etc . . . ever.
I found the damper caused too much drag in the steering and the bike weaved a bit in a straight line.
Removing it improved the handling/steering a lot.
The stock Busa damper are not always the best , they can be prone to develope stiction relatively early in bikes mileage / age . When / If this happens , you would be better off with it removed .
I would guess how effective or how much you may need a damper on your machine , would / could come down to how hard you push your motorcycle and in what conditions ie; road surface etc. you are hard riding , or even if your riding factors in any hard riding to really need it . Regardless , imho a good damper setup correctly , is good insurance on a lighter weight powerful motorcycle , that can lend itself to easily accelerate and wheelie early (cranked over ) exiting out of corners at will . Just the fact that the front wheel leaving the road and again returning at that now even faster pace , just helps maintain and ensures smooth transition steering , and also enables the wheel to remain composed and therefore the bike to recover quicker .
Steering dampers historically have been falsely accused of being used to mask a bikes handling deficiencies , where they were really designed to smooth out the quick steering traits of short wheelbase high hp racing motorcycles .

I use a GPR V4 on mine on top of my stock stabilizer. You are not supposed to use them together but I tune the GPR constantly to road conditions and speed. Works well past 160 on my new bird. I payed a tad under 500 for mine. I believe they come with a lifetime seal and oil service. Just send it back and get it refreshed every few years.
How do you adjust it, like what do you look for while your riding?

I have an ohlins top mount and I have it set around mid, but I really can’t notice any diff whether it’s set to mid or light or heavy. All kinda feels the same for me.

Thanks everyone for the answers. That's why I look on this forum quite often. A bunch of close knit knowledgeable people.

I have an ohlins top mount and I have it set around mid, but I really can’t notice any diff whether it’s set to mid or light or heavy. All kinda feels the same for me.
I was told by Scotts that the damper has 2 levels of dampening. There is a high force mode that is not settable. The factory decided what high, quick forces need to be dampened and set that. These are the dangerous tank slapper hits. It is factory set so you don't accidentally disable the damper without knowing it. The controls control the force on the steering from your steering inputs. They said to crank the damper to max stiff and after riding for a few miles, gradually reduce the resistance until it feels right and mark the spot. That's how to set it. You want the max resistance that feels normal.

at 160 mph and above... u don't need a damper... u need gods help and good luck.:race:

Scotts, GPR & there are a few others like Pitbull at this level they aren't much different. A quality non stick type stabilizer simply does it's job so well you should not even know it is functioning at all or feel drag if set proper. As stated valved to deal with fast sudden & slow imput forces from environment or rider. You set it as advised then make minor adjustments if any; never have to touch it again except to remove the tank.

Back