Steering Lock wont engage...help

Xavius

Registered
Did a little work on the Busa this week, now my steering lock wont engage, the key wont turn that far. Stop Run work just fine but it wont turn counter clockwise to the lock position...

Anybody have any thoughts?

I changed the handle bar holder to a chrome one and added frame covers to the sides and neck nothing else on the front end...

just guessing but maybe the frame covers are in the way/blocking the neck from going to "full lock" position. are the frame covers mounted using 2-sided tape? if possible, remove it and see if steering can lock again.

They are held on by the bolts for the coolant resevoir on one side and the lower fairing bolt and seat bolt on the other side. The neck covers are held on by the tank bolts. and one bolt on the left side that has a hose holder bracket on the left at the neck.

just guessing but maybe the frame covers are in the way/blocking the neck from going to "full lock" position. are the frame covers mounted using 2-sided tape? if possible, remove it and see if steering can lock again.

+1. whenever doing mods if you have new issues, retrace your steps, testing along the way.

anyone know how the mechanism works? any diagrams out there? is there a pin or hole i should be looking to see if it got covered or anything like that? handle bars and forks have full range left and right, no obstructions

if you have a Gen II, look in p. 581 of the Service Manual (SECTION 6: STEERING). If you need a copy of the manual (either Gen I or II), get a free copy here:
Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles

P.S. have you tried removing the mods you added to see if it is the cause of the problem (post # 5 above ??? ) I am GUESSING 99.99% your steering will lock again like it is supposed to after you try removing the frame covers. Best of luck.

Alright I got this one fixed by doing exactly what yall suggested and it worked. The frame covers that go around the neck of the frame need to be cut prior to installation. there is an approx. 1/2" x 1/2" hole in the front left portion of the neck where something has to protrude from in order for the neck lock to engage that cant be covered up. Thats as simple as it was. Actually feel kinda silly afterwards but hey, i learned something. thanks for all the suggestions everyone :moon:

Back