Steering Head Bearings....

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so here's the deal...

After spending weeks narrowing down the cause of my front end vibration, I have settled on the idea that the head bearings need to be replaced. Went to the local SUZI dealer, I WAS IN LUCK! They had one bearing in stock. I grabbed it up and went on my way. Little did I know (I didnt take the time to read the service manual) that there are 2 BEARINGS in the steering head, both need to be replaced at the same time.

Now, I havent torn the head apart yet to check the condition of the bearings and races, im hoping that the races are still in above average condition so I can change those out later. Also, I understand that I might not even need new bearings, they just might need to be tightened and greased up real good.

MY DILEMMA...
I've got a track day this saturday and I want to put this damn vibration problem to bed already! I'm trying to locate a second bearing between NOW and say Friday morning. My shop that I got mine from doesnt til Tuesdays, so i will have to wait there....

Both RONAYERS and BABBITSONLINE said they could get me one, but it will take 7-10 days to arrive (wish I would have thought about all of this LAST WEEK!!)

So, does anyone know where I could possibly track down an OEM part like this in this time frame? Any board sponsors like GoldenChild or others have access to this? Anyone live close enough to a dealer that they can locate me one and ship it to me if need be?

I know that last request is a tall order, I just need to have this all done and the bike buttoned back up before Friday night...track day is Sat morning

HELP! Thanks!
shake.gif

Ok, so here's the deal...

After spending weeks narrowing down the cause of my front end vibration, I have settled on the idea that the head bearings need to be replaced.  Went to the local SUZI dealer, I WAS IN LUCK!  They had one bearing in stock.  I grabbed it up and went on my way.  Little did I know (I didnt take the time to read the service manual) that there are 2 BEARINGS in the steering head, both need to be replaced at the same time.  

Now, I havent torn the head apart yet to check the condition of the bearings and races, im hoping that the races are still in above average condition so I can change those out later.  Also, I understand that I might not even need new bearings, they just might need to be tightened and greased up real good.

MY DILEMMA...
I've got a track day this saturday and I want to put this damn vibration problem to bed already!  I'm trying to locate a second bearing between NOW and say Friday morning.  My shop that I got mine from doesnt til Tuesdays, so i will have to wait there....

Both RONAYERS and BABBITSONLINE said they could get me one, but it will take 7-10 days to arrive (wish I would have thought about all of this LAST WEEK!!)

So, does anyone know where I could possibly track down an OEM part like this in this time frame?  Any board sponsors like GoldenChild or others have access to this?  Anyone live close enough to a dealer that they can locate me one and ship it to me if need be?

I know that last request is a tall order, I just need to have this all done and the bike buttoned back up before Friday night...track day is Sat morning

HELP!  Thanks!
shake.gif
gotpm.gif

how about a slighty used set off my spare triple tree?

bearing are basically new since the parts were from a band new part out bike.

Let me know asap

Thanks for the help guys.

After exhausting my list of dealers, i finally found one a little soith of me that had a few in stock, left over from a previous order that was never picked up.

Thanks again! I'll be ready to go for the track day now!

Let us know if that cures your vibration?

I doubt it will?

It's easy to check your bearings. First simply retorque the bearings. Next, turn the bars back and fouth with the front end suspended, if everything is smooth with no rough spots, it's not your bearings!

I'd lift the front wheel and check it for any wriggle. I'd be more suspicious of a front wheel bearing being the problem than the sterring stem?

Just my thoughts? But please do let us know as wondering minds want to know!

Ill definately let ya know Tuff!

Haven't suspended the front end yet and checked everything that way, but the last time (bout a month ago) I had the front wheel off, we inspected the wheel bearings and they seemed to be in good shape.

Gonna try and get the front end up either this afternoon or tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

At 11,XXX miles, i might just go ahead and replace both head bearings and wheel bearings! I'd feel better that way anyways!

Thanks for the info Tuf!
beerchug.gif

Get some aftermarket bearings. Much better quality and they convert the bearings from roller to the better tapered bearing.

Hey buddy keep me abreast of this situation as well I would do what Tuff recommended as well and replace the front wheel bearings as well that way you are flossy fresh on the front end
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

What are the conditions when you feel the vibration? Accelerating, braking, cornering, or all of the above? Have you checked your rotors to see if one is beginning to warp?

I had used only,but thanks for thinking of me.Check the nuts under the middle tree if they are loose your head shake is there.I check them on each shop service I do for my customers..

the steering bearings @ allballs are 32 bucks. The are really fast too, got my wheel bearings from them. Great quality and fast shipping.

if changing my stock bearings to the all balls bearing do I need to remove the stock outer races and use the all balls races?

Back