Steering dampner

dkariores

Registered
talking to a fellow board member on the phone, he tells me that you can change the "oil" in your steering dampner to a heavier weight and that is supposed to help or make the bike handle better, but he said that he had someone else do it for him, and wasnt sure how they did it, or what weight oil was used, has anyone done this, or have any info on it at all??

let me know..

Yes you can put heavier oil in the damper...

but,

I think buying the ohlins or any ADJUSTABLE damper is the better way to go. You want more damping, click it up. Want less damping, click it down.
wink.gif

Yes you can put heavier oil in the damper...

but,

I think buying the ohlins or any ADJUSTABLE damper is the better way to go. You want more damping, click it up. Want less damping, click it down.
wink.gif
rgr that but you also pay a premium for one too. Oil is cheap.

I bought a used busa damper from ebay for like $10 and put it on my pocketbike with 80wt gear oil in it. Help TREMENDOUSLY from headshake and the short steering bike.

here is a pic

IMG_0013.JPG

fabbed a bracket and it fits completely under the bodywork.

damper3.JPG

I got one on ebay and i'm putting 80/90w in it . It should help .

Make sure you work ALL the airbubbles out of it . I heard it can be a pain. Did you fill yurs from the little screw on it ? Goldenchild said its best to take it apart somehow . I have to ask him how he meant.

I drained mine from the screw...work it all out.... then use a funnel to refill. it takes a good 10 miutes of filling.....working the dampner rod back and forth...you'll see itsy bitsy bubbles...wait until they all go away....and then repeat ...eventually there are no bubbles.....

and it won't feel loose when done completely.

beerchug.gif

I removed the small screw, submerged it in 90 syn, and worked the oil in and the air out.... made a differance but not as good as a aftermarket one does... that is one of this winters projects....

That would be a good raffle Cap. a steering Dampner
beerchug.gif

Back