Steering Damper

tlronny

Registered
Does anyone find that the stock steering damper is not quite stiff enough ?
I get the wiggles often going over uneven surfaces and it is very disconcerning (especially if yor going hard out)
My suspension is set up fairly stiff but if I soften it up the ride is too wallowy for me
I reckon the stock damper is way too soft as standard - wot do you reckon guys ??

Put heavier oil in it. Will stiffen it up quite a bit. I think I got a link for ya, but no promises...

There's a link and I can't find it either. It said what oil to put in it .
rock.gif

Put heavier oil in it.  Will stiffen it up quite a bit.  I think I got a link for ya, but no promises...
Dude,

Ohayo Gozimus! Do Itashe mashte? I was on "The Rock" in 1980-82, and again in 1986-89. 18 SPS/LE. Retired in AZ now. I rode that island about a hundred times and loved it. Wish I had my 'Busa then. Are you riding a 'Busa there? The insurance and road tax must be a killer. Bet the low riders there love that bike though.

I used 80 weight gear oil in mine, might be a little heavy for you at parking speed but nice & firm when it needs to be.
Take the damper off
take the small screw out the top of the damper & pump out the poop oil that is in it.
I used a syringe to get the oil in but alternative is to submerge the damper in oil & pump until no more bubbles come out. then put screw back & refit

<span style='font-family:courier'><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Cheers for that - I'll give that a go then - I reckon the stock damper does bugger all !!</span></span></span>

<span style='color:orangered'>Just as a matter of interest - wouldnt fork oil be better than gear oil - it is hydraulic after all ?
80 wt sounds really thick !!</span>

Back