Steering Damper

Ding97

Registered
I have my bike apart now for winter mods. I was looking at the steering damper and took one end off to check how it felt. It has some looseness in it ( not a continous shock feel). I know it should have resistance always in both direction of travel. Any tips on working with it, compared to buying a new one. I thought I read some stuff about this before, but my search skills suck! Also any tips on mounting a PCII. I want to keep things looking right and its a street bike. I thought to mount it where the tool kit sets for easy access. Any thoughts appreciated as always. Thanks, Jeff

I took an idea from SPAZ.. He and now me also mount it on top of the stock ecu under the seat. Put in ontop of the ecu and run the rubber band overtop of it. If you need extra support use velco under it also.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the response!!! I was going to the garage this weekend to check if it would mount like you said and have clearance beneath the seat. Sounds like it will. I was going to put it where the tools go and reposition the tools, but on top of the ECU sound slike agreat idea.
I took my steering dampner to work and removed the drain plug and immersed it in 90w syn gearoil and "recharged" it.
Seems to have a much better shock feel and stiffer. Some day I'll buy a good dampner and not be cheap. thanks, Jeff

More details on the "recharging of the Dampner please. Does it fill itself? I've had mine off and was wondering if I could change the fluid to something heavier.

I wish I could find the other guys info. You more or less take the fill plug out and by activating the strut (pushing in and out), drain the old fluid out and then immerse it with the fill hole down into a container of synthetic gearoil (70-90w) and slowly start pumping the dampner until it fills and bleeds out. You'll think it's done after a few pumps, but mine took 30 or so pumps . stick the plug in and clean it off and try it. It should have constant resistance in both directions. I haven't had a chance to ride and check it out yet. It should function ok. ( oh yea, when bleeding it out it will pump out air bubbles-watch not to allow them back into the cylinder). Have fun!

<!--EDIT|Ding97
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073526478 -->

does that stiffen it up ? mine feels pretty loose and I was thinking of getting a new one .

Back