Steering dampeners.

What is everyone running for steering dampeners? Mine is stock with super heavy oil in it and looking to upgrade. I do mostly highways pulls and 1/4 digs.
Mine is the same, stock with heavier oil....works ok.

Many here have the Ohlins dampers.

My stock dampener was causing my bike to 'weave' in a straight line at lower speeds, even after I fitted new steering head bearings and adjusted them correctly.
I removed it and the steering is sooooo much better.
I've never had a head shake or any issues at all with the steering, it's rock solid.

My stock dampener was causing my bike to 'weave' in a straight line at lower speeds, even after I fitted new steering head bearings and adjusted them correctly.
I removed it and the steering is sooooo much better.
I've never had a head shake or any issues at all with the steering, it's rock solid.
I live in flat vill with some nasty cross winds I need a stiff stiff steering damper.

I live in flat vill with some nasty cross winds I need a stiff stiff steering damper.
It's funny how everyone's riding experience is different, you need a dampener for the conditions you ride in, I have never felt the need for a dampener and we get some strong Nor' West winds here, gusting up to 150kmh some days . . I just hang on tight and push the steering against the side wind lol.
Some times I can get pushed across the center line in an instant!
That's the time I need a dampener I guess.

It's funny how everyone's riding experience is different, you need a dampener for the conditions you ride in, I have never felt the need for a dampener and we get some strong Nor' West winds here, gusting up to 150kmh some days . . I just hang on tight and push the steering against the side wind lol.
Some times I can get pushed across the center line in an instant!
That's the time I need a dampener I guess.
Hi. For me the rules I need to run a damper. I have the Scott's.

I have an Ohlins mounted in the OEM position and it is amazing. The bike feels super smooth, I was not a believer and did it for bling but those things really work. The Scott's and other dampers that mount on top of the bars allow easier adjustment. I had a Scott's on my Bandit. It was nice and worked but it didn't give the smooth feel of the Ohlins.

190508Steering Damper.jpg

Well, an ohlins unit is kinda pricey and if I don’t have any symptoms of a bad unit…
I think where steering dampners shine is on the corners and stupid high speed. You can dial it in and make the lines you take so much more consistent since you steering head isnt moved by every bump on the road. I have three setting I use. Stupid high speeds makes it so that you need to be the Hulk to move those handle bars, track cornering which is still stiff but pliable enough to flicker quick, and super soft for extremely slow speed maneuvering like Gymkhana. It's a great tool if you take the time to learn it and adjust it to what and how you feel on that day instead of being stuck on a constant dampening curve which the stock unit forces you to adapt to.

Back