Steam cleaning the chain

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys/gals, (gotta be PC). I am getting ready to do Guinevere's weekly maintenance. I live on about a mile of dirt road, I use Maxima Chain Wax (seems to collect less dust). I have one of those little Eureka Steam cleaners. I was wondering if that would work well for removing all the old wax and debris from the chain without hurting the o-rings. Let me know what you think.

Don

Don,
Got kerosene?
Shawn,

I can go and get some, I have used WD-40, since I got the new bike, seems to work well.  I was just wondering about the steam thing.

Don

PS..  What are you studying for?
Don,
I have used water, wd-40 and Kerosene - never steam cleaned.

WD-40 works well, but it seems like the lube has a hard time sticking to it.

Kerosene I have used a brush and or a banana tube and held it against the chain while turning the tire.

Don't see anything wrong with a steam cleaner if you have one, just never done it.

I am studying business - currently taking a research methodology class.

Don,
Got kerosene?
Shawn,

I can go and get some, I have used WD-40, since I got the new bike, seems to work well.  I was just wondering about the steam thing.

Don

PS..  What are you studying for?
Don,
I have used water, wd-40 and Kerosene - never steam cleaned.

WD-40 works well, but it seems like the lube has a hard time sticking to it.

Kerosene I have used a brush and or a banana tube and held it against the chain while turning the tire.

Don't see anything wrong with a steam cleaner if you have one, just never done it.

I am studying business - currently taking a research methodology class.
Ok,

First wth is a banana tube? Second do you think the o-rings would be ok with the steam? I am just concerned about having to buy a new chain at 6200 miles because I melted the o-rings.

On a positive note, the steam is under pressure and will be able to get down in the chain to get all the gunk out.

I may get a garden hose gasket and take the steam cleaner to that as a test. The o-rings are surely better made than that.

Don

i wouldnt use a steam cleaner because of the possibility of getting watervapor into the link through the orings. The orings are there to keep the stuff on the outside on the outside. If you use steam underpressure it could allow water to get inside the links and start causing you problems you cant see until its to late. I've been using wd-40 for years. I spray the chain a few times... let it sit... scrub it with a brush... spray it again and wipe with a clean rag and until it starts looking dry. Then i let it sit for a bit and then apply the chain wax. Works for me but since you live on a dirt road you might have to figure out another way...

I use Gunk Bug and Tar remover. Stuff works fantastic. I put it on the stand, spray it on and let it sit for a minute. Brush it as I rotate the whell and hose off the junk. Wax and I'm done. It uts through the old wax and mess pretty quick. Thousands of miles doing this with the same chain on. Lots of different methods though.

Don,
Got kerosene?
Brother Mustang just gave the ultimate advice. Not only does kerosene clean the chain nicely, it also helps in lubrication. Remember that kerosene is one of those by-products in crude production. Now I'm not saying to use kerosene as a chain lube, but it's probably the BEST product to use for your chain. I always put my bike on the rear stand, keep the bike in neutral and use an old toothbrush to clean my chain. Besides that, kerosene is what the Owner's Manual suggests.

I wouldn't use the steam cleaner either. Heat may expand those O-rings.

I use WD-40 but second that the chain wax doesn't seem to stick to the chain too long.

Careful. depending on steam pressure u use the temp can melt rubbr o-rings in a chain. Melted or distorted and they wont hold lube well. I imagin the rubbers in the chain would hold up good, But I would have to test. I will take my old chain to work and see if I can melt them. 150 psi steam.

Careful. depending on steam pressure u use the temp can melt rubbr o-rings in a chain. Melted or distorted and they wont hold lube well. I imagin the rubbers in the chain would hold up good, But I would have to test. I will take my old chain to work and see if I can melt them. 150 psi steam.
Kewl,
Let me know how that turns out. The steamer that I have is a little thing, holds about a cup of water. I think it will work well as long as it doesn't negatively affect the o-rings.

Don

I don't think steam will hurt the O rings, but I wouldn't use it because it will
force moisture past them....kerosene is your best bet followed by WD40
wink.gif

I don't think steam will hurt the O rings, but I wouldn't use it because it will
force moisture past them....kerosene is your best bet followed by WD40
wink.gif
+1 on that cuz, chain will get hotter than boiled water temps...but, I wouldn't use it cuz, moisture gets under the oring, could cause a rust, my bet is wd40...
rock.gif

Don,
Got kerosene?
Brother Mustang just gave the ultimate advice. Not only does kerosene clean the chain nicely, it also helps in lubrication. Remember that kerosene is one of those by-products in crude production. Now I'm not saying to use kerosene as a chain lube, but it's probably the BEST product to use for your chain. I always put my bike on the rear stand, keep the bike in neutral and use an old toothbrush to clean my chain. Besides that, kerosene is what the Owner's Manual suggests.
+1

Don,
Got kerosene?
Brother Mustang just gave the ultimate advice.  Not only does kerosene clean the chain nicely, it also helps in lubrication.  Remember that kerosene is one of those by-products in crude production.  Now I'm not saying to use kerosene as a chain lube, but it's probably the BEST product to use for your chain.  I always put my bike on the rear stand, keep the bike in neutral and use an old toothbrush to clean my chain.  Besides that, kerosene is what the Owner's Manual suggests.
+1. Clean the chain with kerosine every 1000 mikes. Almost 18000 miles on the stock chain and its still going strong. Can't help the the steam clean idea, don't know if it will hurt it or not.

Don,
Got kerosene?
Brother Mustang just gave the ultimate advice.  Not only does kerosene clean the chain nicely, it also helps in lubrication.  Remember that kerosene is one of those by-products in crude production.  Now I'm not saying to use kerosene as a chain lube, but it's probably the BEST product to use for your chain.  I always put my bike on the rear stand, keep the bike in neutral and use an old toothbrush to clean my chain.  Besides that, kerosene is what the Owner's Manual suggests.
+1.  Clean the chain with kerosine every 1000 mikes.  Almost 18000 miles on the stock chain and its still going strong.  Can't help the the steam clean idea, don't know if it will hurt it or not.
I live on a dirt road and my chain gets cleaned and adj every weekend (I also put between 750 and 1000 miles a week on my bike). I looked for kerosene yesterday, no joy, I am going to look again today.

Don

I get mine at a local gas station, but I buy it 20 gallons at a time for the parts cleaner. Home depot carries it in gallon cans. Its more expensive that way, but if you are only using for your chain, a gallon will last you a lifetime.

I get mine at a local gas station, but I buy it 20 gallons at a time for the parts cleaner.  Home depot carries it in gallon cans.  Its more expensive that way, but if you are only using for your chain, a gallon will last you a lifetime.
The gas stations that I visited here don't have it, but thanks for the info on Home Depot. Do you guys just use an old tooth brush to clean it with. You guys said brush and that is the first thing that came to mind.

Don

Back