Stator Cover Replacement

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Unfortunately, not long after I got my 'Busa I had an accident in the driveway. I was trying to back it up in my driveway and got a little ahead of myself, she leaned over and I couldn't recover her. Thankfully, the only damage was to the stator cover and a small scratch to the side mirror and each are very inexpensive to replace. Because of the weather I decided today was the day to replace the stator cover. I would have done the side mirror, but it won't be here until tomorrow. Anyway, I wasn't sure what would be involved in the replacement and wanted to show anyone that hasn't done it that it is pretty easy. The following posts will show pics of the procedure which were inspired by 'Train's postings of his exhaust mod.

Like all replacements/mods you have to prep the bike first. Never mind the junk in the garage, I'm still trying to get settled in the house.

DSC00089.JPG

If you couldn't see the rash on the stator on the previous picture this one shows it much better. I know its minor, but I got tired of looking at it.

DSC00091.JPG

There are 9 bolts that have to be removed from the outside of the cover. Once that's done, you have to do a little prying to get the cover off because of the seal created between the stator and the cover. You should be careful to not break the gasket between the stator and the cover. Once the seal is broken and the cover is off the pic below is what it looks like. Now use a hex key to remove the 3 nuts in the center and the 2 nuts at the top of the cover. There will be some magnetism there, so be prepared.

DSC00092.JPG

Now, simply transfer these 2 pieces to the new stator cover, put the gasket on, reattach and tighten the bolts (7 ft-lbs, 10 N-M of torque).

DSC00093.JPG

All that's left is to put the fairings back on and you're done.

DSC00099.JPG

Another pic of the complete job. Looks much better to me at least.

DSC00100.JPG

Good job with the step by step, BigBS. I wondered what was under that cover. Ain't it nice to have the rash gone? I can't stand little things like that on my toys either. ;)

Oh, and a question. How much oil did you lose by removing that cover? :super: One reason I haven't pulled the covers yet is because I didn't think about it when I've had the oil drained and didn't want to spill a bunch just to see what was in there. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be that much oil loss from the stator cover removal. Am I right? :super:

Now, simply transfer these 2 pieces to the new stator cover, put the gasket on, reattach and tighten the bolts (7 ft-lbs, 10 N-M of torque).
Looks great but you got some white junk in your overflow bottle.
poke.gif
JK I think we all have that stuff. Just on more normal trate of the All Mighty Busa.
post-10-19682-dsc00093.jpg

Yes, I am very glad its gone. The problem with this was that I couldn't find any real good information about what was under the cover. You know, is there any oil? Or are there any wires that connect underneath? Or is it just a cover? I found a couple of shots of a Kawasaki stator, but it talked more about the functions of the stator that it did about the layout (coils, wire connections, etc.). I am glad its done and wasn't too painful. More things await during this week of rather poor weather.

Great illustrations BS. Now if only we can get you and Bullet to keep this up, we won't need a manual. I like the color pictures. They do say a thousand words.

Tony:)

If I could only get a bolt by bolt picture illustrations of removing the fairings. I think my inapt mechanical ability might be brought up a notch.

Tony:D :D

I tell you what Tony. I'm out of mod money. If you want to buy my mods I'll be more than happy to do step by step photos with instructions as specific as you want them so you can do it to your bike. Now, don't you want a photo install instruction thread on a 1397 big bore top end kit? :super:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I tell you what Tony. I'm out of mod money. If you want to buy my mods I'll be more than happy to do step by step photos with instructions as specific as you want them so you can do it to your bike. Now, don't you want a photo install instruction thread on a 1397 big bore top end kit? :super:

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:
I'll let BT handle the power and performance mods for now. I'm still going for the bling, bling stuff.

Nope, like I said the bike is fast enough for me right now. I don't foresee myself going to the track with it anytime soon, so I would rather just be able to cruise around town and show it off. After I get a little more comfortable with it I might be whistling a different tune. Just not there yet. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out that TRE vs. PC thing!

BT how about I buy my mods come up there to Hotlanta and take pictures of you doing my mods???:D

:bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

Just a thought. Are you going to the Bike show in Jan? We went last year. It was nice. Drank to much though.

Tony

Back