Stator cover replacement

ZeePopo

Registered
So I replaced my slightly banged up stator cover with a Woodcraft unit. Mighty nice I must say much sturdier than the original. I had dropped the bike at almost a standstill last year, scuffed the cover a bit and thought I better replace it before I do track this year. Good thing I did. Even though the cover was only mildly damaged on the outside, the inside had stress damage cracks in a few places. Also for those who are running a high profile tire like me 200/60 you need to put the bike on the rear stands. If you leave it on the sidestand it will leak a ton of oil. I knew my tires raised the bike a lot but I wasn't expecting a liter of oil to come out of the stator cover. At half a liter I pressed it back in, put the rear stands on and the oil flow stopped. Who knows how much oil would have come out otherwise. Also got some water wetter in. Looking forward to doing some track days soon :)

IMG_20200803_201008.jpg

Also is everyones Akrapovic full exhaust almost touching the oil cooler? I have one exhaust header pipe that is less than a 1/4 in away from the oil cooler. Freaks me out. I'll post a photo later.

I've used 200-55s with no oil leakage. Never tried a 200-60 but thanks for the heads up. When I removed the stator cover with the bike on rear stand, I believe an ounce or less of oil ran out. I have a feeling there is more afoot with your stator cover than raising the rear a few more mm with a 200-60 tire. You should be able to park a bike facing downhill on the sidestand.

I like my Woodcradt stator cover but I like the looks of the OEM one better. The OEM cover is a lot lighter in weight too. R&G makes a stator cover slider that would probably work fine for a garage tip over. R&G Engine Case Slider (Left) for Hayabusa 08-17 - SoloMotoParts.com

As far as the oil cooler header clearance I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Here's my Tsukigi exhaust. It came with an extended lower bracket but I left the OEM one on. No problems.
oilcool.clearnce.jpg

Yes, I believe you are correct now that I reread that. I'm not surprised that oil ran out with the bike on the sidestand. I had mine vertical when I removed the cover and there wasn't much that ran out. The tail was way up because the bike was on a rear stand.
Yup seems that way lol

The stator cover shouldn’t leak oil period.
I assumed you meant that when you took the cover off all the oil came out right? You should be changing the oil if you are doing that. Empty bile, replace filter, switch stator covers, refill oil.

I assumed you meant that when you took the cover off all the oil came out right? You should be changing the oil if you are doing that. Empty bile, replace filter, switch stator covers, refill oil.
I thought he meant it was consistently dripping oil at any given chance. When my cover comes off for whatever reason, oil is already drained.

There's no reason he couldn't try exhaust tape but the 3 mm clearance between my oil cooler and headers didn't effect the engine temp at all. The needle never goes past halfway.

Did you check timing after changing to an aftermarket cover? This would be VERY important if installing one of the cheap Chinese covers.

There's no reason he couldn't try exhaust tape but the 3 mm clearance between my oil cooler and headers didn't effect the engine temp at all. The needle never goes past halfway.
I think I'm gonna have to take it off and redo that pipe. On closer look it seems to be slightly rubbing the oil cooler. This sucks. Can I buy a extended bracket for the oil cooler ?. Mine seems to be tilted backwards a little. Ill take a photo once I have the fairings off.

@ZeePopo @Dennis is questioning the accuracy of pick up point for ignition timing. When swapping out covers the componants are transfered from old cover to new. If the casting for the covers is not exact ignition timing can/may have been altered.
Rubb.

stator ign.jpg

Back