Stator cover oil leakage on a 2013 Hayabusa

BusaOCD

Registered
Hey Folks,

Today, while cleaning my 2013 Busa, i noticed a drop of oil on the bottom bolt of the Stator cover. Is it just a gasket problem? I hope nothing to worry about. I did drop the bike one day while washing it (the babe was just 3 days old then). It was in neutral and slipped off the stand when I was cleaning the wheels. (didn't have rear stand at that time). Will a gasket change fix it? I hope it's nothing to worry about. Here's a pic (its not visible though)

You'll need to look for closely cracks on that PAPER thin stator cover. I had one on my 06, and it only opened up when hot.

Change out the cover and the gasket, the stock covers typically cant take any kind of hit. Do yourself a favor and get with Tim from Pashnit Moto or Guy from Tiger Racing and get a Woodcraft stator cover.

One thing you can try is see if you can tighten the bolts a bit (while the engine is cold and the parts haven't expanded yet), they may have been loose just a tad. Be careful not to snap one off though. Then fire it up and let it idle until warm and see if it leaks. It may not leak until you put the engine under load so you may need to take her around the block to get her to leak again.

I think I saw a used one with a stator on that turbo bike part out on the classifieds... 80$ I think it was, but don't quote me on the price by memory.

**edit** sorry I think that was a gen I

BusaOCD. I dropped mine (08 GenII) too in similar fashion. Twice. No leak from stator that I can see. Scratched up the cover though. I have an all black Woodcraft cover. Brand new never installed bought from Pashnit. I will be removing the OEM cover soon. If the OEM cover is lighter in weight than the Woodcraft, the OEM may just go back on with a new gasket (just in case it decides to start leaking after disassembly).

If I stay with my OEM cover, I may be selling the Woodcraft half price of brand new. Gonna take at least a few weeks to tear stuff apart and decide what to do. I imagine you are in more of a hurry than I am here in 28 F Milwaukee, WI. I'll PM you if I want to sell.

Thanks a lot everyone for the quick reply / advice.

I first thought that there should not be any oil inside the stator cover. But when I went through some of the other posts, I realized that oil inside the stator cover was normal. Phew... what a relief.... I was worried that something was broken inside causing the leak. More so, because the babe is just 5 months old.

I'll try tightening the bolts a bit, since there is not too much leakage. It's just one or two drops of oil in about 12 hrs. I'm sure there isn't any damage to the cover. Because I had dropped the bike over 5 months ago. And the leakage started just yesterday. Plus the bike did not fall hard as I was next to the bike and kind of cushed the fall. If that does not help then I'll look at the stator cover and gasket.

I wouldn't mind going for a Woodcraft as some of you suggested, but the thing is that shipping to India becomes quite expensive.

Thanks a lot again for your help.

Man some one just knocked my bike over and scuffed up the left side fairing and broke my clutch lever AND broke my stator case and left it sitting in a puddle of oil.....

So I will be need to replace mine too

I tell ya, ya just can have anything these days without someone damaging it

Dude...that is some lame **** right there...:tantrum:

Sorry , to hear that. And I agree. If you have something nice, someone usually screws it up.

I Loosened all the bolts and tightened them again and BINGO.... its sorted.. Did it on saturday evening. So far No leakage..... Thanks again guys.

Back