State troopers mount motorcycles for enforcement on "the dragon"

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
State troopers mount motorcycles for enforcement on "The Dragon" » Knoxville News Sentinel Mobile

STATE TROOPERS MOUNT MOTORCYCLES FOR ENFORCEMENT ON "THE DRAGON"

By Don Jacobs
Updated Tuesday, September 10, 2013
State troopers on motorcycles will saturate U.S. Highway 129, especially the section called “The Dragon†in the upcoming weekend because of two events expected to bring a deluge of riders to the area.

Motorcycle riding troopers from Tennessee Highway Patrols districts in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Cookeville and Fall Branch will converge on the federal highway during Sept. 13-15, according to the state Department of Safety and Homeland Security.

A $71,116.79 grant from the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, which covers a period from Oct. 1, 2012, to Sept. 30, 2013, will pay overtime funds to the motorcycle officers

The decision to saturate “The Dragon†with motorcycle officers was prompted by two events this weekend expected to bring heavy motorcycle traffic to the challenging road. In Maggie Valley, N.C., the “Thunder in the Smokies†event will be under way and in Pigeon Forge the “Fall Rod Run†will be held.

The Dragon is an 11-mile section of U.S. Highway 129 that attracts motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world because of its 318 curves. According to the state, one motorcyclist has died so far this year on U.S. Highway 129.

Officials said the state troopers will especially be alert for aggressive and reckless driving, speeding, impaired driving and seat belt use for four-wheel vehicles. Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday.

More details as they develop online and in Wednesday’s News Sentinel.

So, you can travel through the Dragon on a decked out Harley faster than a Crown Vic or a Charger?
Maybe:laugh:

Yep... Several of us are going for a ride tomorrow. Headed for north Georgia instead of North Carolina.

Flicka, check out Blood Mountain and up near Helen, GA. Great riding up in that area and I hardly ever see and LE.

The motorcycle patrol was on the Dragon last weekend. He was hanging out in the overlook parking area using radar. There was a marked cruiser working towards the NC line. Both were busy writing on Thursday but not Friday. According to Killboy they are recruiting unknown officers from other areas for special duty on the Dragon. Due to the summer rains Tn has an abundance of overtime money available.
I was a lucky dog once for sure.

No, but the extra money is nice, and just think, they get to run the Dragon as hard as they want :laugh:

Not sure what is different from the guys we met. They were all on BMWs and were super nice guys. Maybe this is a different type of LEO doing the same thing. I can't remember what state is which side so maybe it is just the other state I didn't meet when we went there. But they readily told us they were not there to do much but try and keep things safe. They couldn't catch us if we ran and they couldn't get a decent radar run in most places anyway. They said we don't expect you guys to do posted speed limits. Just ride safe. They go to any accidents to help out as quick as they could.

Great bikes. Great guys. I got some pics somewhere of 6 BMWs surrounding my bike. We had breakfast with them and they watched about 12 bikes ride on the rear wheel up the hill to the first turn.

Not sure what is different from the guys we met. They were all on BMWs and were super nice guys. Maybe this is a different type of LEO doing the same thing. I can't remember what state is which side so maybe it is just the other state I didn't meet when we went there. But they readily told us they were not there to do much but try and keep things safe. They couldn't catch us if we ran and they couldn't get a decent radar run in most places anyway. They said we don't expect you guys to do posted speed limits. Just ride safe. They go to any accidents to help out as quick as they could.

Great bikes. Great guys. I got some pics somewhere of 6 BMWs surrounding my bike. We had breakfast with them and they watched about 12 bikes ride on the rear wheel up the hill to the first turn.

You wouldn't get away with doing wheelies in front of LEOs in California ! We have plenty of cagers out here that don't like bikers and their complaints are sometimes heard in the communities city council meetings.

I try to treat other motorist with respect and courtesy as often as possible given my riding style.

the more people there are at the dragon means less people on all the great roads around there ...I like it...

Back