State Farm **What the Heck!**

Ranger

Registered
So it seems the concensus around here is that state farm had the best insurance rates, so I finally get around to calling them for a quote. The Lady says we need the Lic#, social security #, and DOB of all drivers in the family.

I asked why all this info on family members that will not be driving this motorcycle. She said they do a credit check and driving history report and some other check I cant remember...WTF:banghead:

I simply wanted a quote and have to go through all that?? For one I don't like giving out my SS# when possible, let alone my whole family's. Is this what everyone else had to go through from state farm? Already started off on a bad foot with me.....

Call another agent

I didnt have to go through all that, I did switch my cars over to State Farm as well and got even a better rate.

Call a different State Farm agent, there are literally dozens around here, and diff offices have diff results.

So it seems the concensus around here is that state farm had the best insurance rates, so I finally get around to calling them for a quote. The Lady says we need the Lic#, social security #, and DOB of all drivers in the family.

I asked why all this info on family members that will not be driving this motorcycle. She said they do a credit check and driving history report and some other check I cant remember...WTF:banghead:

I simply wanted a quote and have to go through all that?? For one I don't like giving out my SS# when possible, let alone my whole family's. Is this what everyone else had to go through from state farm? Already started off on a bad foot with me.....

Yes. They have to have your SSN to do the driving record check. Or at least for me to check mine, in SC, I have to enter my SS#, along with DL# and DOB.

Yes. They have to have your SSN to do the driving record check. Or at least for me to check mine, in SC, I have to enter my SS#, along with DL# and DOB.

But did they need it for all the drivers in the house? Thats what I didn't like....

But did they need it for all the drivers in the house? Thats what I didn't like....

yes.... everyone says that "i'm the only one who will be riding it"

but that doesnt change the fact that the 16 year old in your house may take it without permission, or you might say "ok just this once" etc.

they dont know, maybe your daughter has been caught before taking your cars and joy riding...

obviously, i am exagerating a bit here, as i dont know anything about you or your family, but then neither do they... so in order to determine the liability you pose, they have to assess your risk...

HOWEVER there is a way out, at least in MY case... if the other drivers carry their own policy's for insurance, own vehicles in their name... basically i was able to get around this by proving they had their own policy's and had their own liabilities covered... though in my case, there is no legal marriage or civil union... so i had that extra piece of protection as well...

Last edited:
I didn't have to give anyones social #, just drivers lic. #.

Edit: Actually they should be able to get those #'s from your last insurance. The only reason I had to get my fathers drivers lic# was because it kept showing my brothers. Wierd that they would need all that.

Last edited:
just tell them what the driving records are and have them give you a quote for a good credit rating and one for a bad credit rating. The quote will be close enough for what you are looking for. They want your S.S.# for the credit report.

In FL you don't need SS they can do it through your DL, The SS # is probably to check your credit which doesn't make sense why do they need a credit check, my car insurance here didn't run a credit check even though I was financing it. On my car I nave no insurance on my bike:laugh:

In FL you don't need SS they can do it through your DL, The SS # is probably to check your credit which doesn't make sense why do they need a credit check, my car insurance here didn't run a credit check even though I was financing it. On my car I nave no insurance on my bike:laugh:

Yeah, I dont understand why they have to check your credit for insurance. Next thing you know, they'll be checking your credit at the drive thru Mc Donalds before they'll let you buy a cheeseburger.

Re: State Farm **What the Heck!

That they did not. But it's also true that I'm 22, and the son. I'm not the dad of the son who may decide to go joyriding, without permission. So maybe that's why they didn't ask for anyone else's info? I don't know.

They check it for the same reason that your cellphone provider does. If you have a bunch of late payments or no pays on your credit they are going to hit you for a higher rate, just like a credit card company would do. If your credit is improving you can request them to do a credit check (most companies only allow this once a year) but beware if your credit has gotten worse they will adjust your premiums up, so it works both ways. They just want to make sure you will pay your bill when it is due. It would make more sense to me if they just quoted everybody for a low credit rating and then tell you that you might have a cheaper rate if you have good credit.

You should be able to get a quote without giving your info, but be aware that it will probably be different after you sign up with them just because it is a general quote. If you want to know EXACTLY what your payment will be, then give them the information.

Credit rated insurance is now just about universal. Their is a direct correlation between bad cradit and accidents. The insurance companies want to hit the accident prone (bad credit) drivers for more money as they generally have higher claims.

I'd check Allstate too, my insurance is very cheap, but I'm old and have my house and truck through them too. But, ALWAYS check around with about 4 or 5 companies. They are all over the map on rates for bikes. Good Luck!

Back