State Farm Rising rates!

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered
Well i just got the renewal for them 2013, and all i can say is ouch.

Last year it was $392, and this year has jumped to $445, with no notice until the renewal.

Im waiting to see how much the other 3 bike jump, but they cant tell me until the policies renew.

The Gen1 policies are only $225 a year, for the same coverage as the Gen2.

Guess ill be shopping around again, wtf.

I just gave State Farm the boot! Can't see keeping full coverage on an 05 busa anymore. If I did wreck it, they wouldn't want to give me squat for it anyway. Switched to the progressive policy on my wife's motorcycle, dropped to liability on the busa, $76 a year.

I just gave State Farm the boot! Can't see keeping full coverage on an 05 busa anymore. If I did wreck it, they wouldn't want to give me squat for it anyway. Switched to the progressive policy on my wife's motorcycle, dropped to liability on the busa, $76 a year.

i thought about doing that this year, probably will next year...thanks for letting me know how much i could have saved :thumbsup:

how do u figure that? ull get a hellova a lot more then ud get from a salvage sale if wrecked. and its not just dumping it that wud suk but get it stolen and u get nothn.

I recently sold the Hayabusa. Contacted my agent to drop the insurance. They stated they will not write a "stand alone" policy on a motorcycle anymore. So, that means insure your car or home with them before they will insure your bike. This is in Wisconsin, maybe other states are different. Went with Geico on my new bike. They had the best rates. Just my experience.

I had state farm on my last bike and it was like 75 a month for full coverage but as soon as I got a speeding ticket the wouldn't cover my next bike I got and both bikes where Gen II's. As far as them not covering you unless you have something else insured with them I had 2 different agents that said that then I went to a larger office that had more then 1 agent in it and they said no problem and where more then happy to insure it until the ticket went on my record then there was nothing they could do even tho I had been with them for 13 years.

how do u figure that? ull get a hellova a lot more then ud get from a salvage sale if wrecked. and its not just dumping it that wud suk but get it stolen and u get nothn.
I have yet to total a bike in 47 years of riding, so with that in mind, I'll accept the risk. My busa is garaged, and If I'm out riding and stop, the bike is NEVER out of my sight or that of a friend. I'm not advocating for people to drop full coverage insurance, it just made sense for me. My full coverage on my 05 was almost $850 a year where I live, and it has gone up the last several years. I have owned the busa since July of 05 and have had full coverage since then. I have paid them enough over the years to almost BUY a new busa, but no more. If it gets totaled or stolen so be it, I'll replace it.

no offense but bikes get stolen every day no matter how careful you think you are. I've known of dozens that have been stolen right out of garages. and forget totaling or gettn ur bike stolen. you cud be sued and lose everything u own if ur were cited in an accident that resulted in serious bodily injury to another. you think it can't happen on a motorcycle? it can and does often cause MC riders ride fast and hard.

small price to pay for a little peace of mind....

I have yet to total a bike in 47 years of riding, so with that in mind, I'll accept the risk. My busa is garaged, and If I'm out riding and stop, the bike is NEVER out of my sight or that of a friend. I'm not advocating for people to drop full coverage insurance, it just made sense for me. My full coverage on my 05 was almost $850 a year where I live, and it has gone up the last several years. I have owned the busa since July of 05 and have had full coverage since then. I have paid them enough over the years to almost BUY a new busa, but no more. If it gets totaled or stolen so be it, I'll replace it.

Well done! Insurance is one of those ironies: You only need full coverage insurance if you can't afford the loss, but if you can't afford the loss, you probably can't afford the full coverage insurance. Bah! Like ya say, if you tally up what you've paid over the years, you could probably have saved enough to replace the ride on your own.

Insurance: They're betting that you won't ever need to make a claim and you're betting you will. ???

Insurance: They're betting that you won't ever need to make a claim and you're betting you will. ???

Well said, insurance of any kind is a gamble - you either pay up front or pay at the back end. Gotta play the odds and hope for the best.

no offense but bikes get stolen every day no matter how careful you think you are. I've known of dozens that have been stolen right out of garages. and forget totaling or gettn ur bike stolen. you cud be sued and lose everything u own if ur were cited in an accident that resulted in serious bodily injury to another. you think it can't happen on a motorcycle? it can and does often cause MC riders ride fast and hard.

small price to pay for a little peace of mind....

Perhaps you missed in my post, that I changed coverage to liability. I'm also covered against uninsured drivers. I just don't need to keep paying $800 plus a year to have an insurance company give me what they think is fair for a 9 year old, 80K + mile motorcycle if I wreck it, or it is stolen. At any rate, I'm not going to bet almost $900 a year that it will be. I do ride hard and fast on occasion, at the track where it belongs.

Perhaps you missed in my post, that I changed coverage to liability. I'm also covered against uninsured drivers. I just don't need to keep paying $800 plus a year to have an insurance company give me what they think is fair for a 9 year old, 80K + mile motorcycle if I wreck it, or it is stolen. At any rate, I'm not going to bet almost $900 a year that it will be. I do ride hard and fast on occasion, at the track where it belongs.
adding theft and fire is relatively cheap if u don't want the full comprehensive coverage. $900 a year for full coverage is quite a bit tho i agree for a bike that 9yrs old with 80k.

Mine just came up for renewal. It has gone up almost exactly $60 every renewal for the last 3 years (That includes 3 bikes and a truck)...

Back