State Farm Claims?

MSHax

Registered
I did a quick search for insurance and started reading through the threads, it seems as though a LOT of people have State Farm. My question is, has anyone had to file a claim with state farm? I had them for about 8 years, and never filed any claim, but had to drop them for treating me like a second class member.

Here's a story about that: I used to have 11 cars, 11 bikes, 3 boats, 4 restaurants, and 2 houses insured through State Farm. I was there for 8 years, never filed a claim, always paid my bills on time, and never questioned the rates. One day I went out and bought a new dirt bike, dual sport really. So there I am at the Suzuki dealership, giving them money, when I call State Farm to add a bike on. Seems simple right? shouldn't take more than 15 minutes since all I have to say is "duplicate the coverage on my Honda". When I called my agent, who knew me so well I attended his daughters quinceanera, told me "give me 5 minutes to finish something up, I'll call you back". Seemed like no big deal, I'll shop for accessories. 30 minutes goes by and I call back again to hear "Oh Ian went home". Uh..Ok, it's 3pm but ok, no big deal, get me someone else I say. The person they transferred me to had so much trouble adding the bike she said she would get someone to call me back. At that point I said "screw it, I'll ride home without it and get it tomorrow". 2 days later after not hearing anything I switched EVERYTHING to progressive. After a week I get a call from Ian saying "sorry I didn't get back to you, I see you moved your account out, can we add that bike now?". But as anyone who's ever had progressive will tell you, they are the ABSOLUTE worst company on the planet when it comes to claims. Anything greater than a windshield and they will FIGHT to prevent paying out. I had someone scratch up my Ducati at a club, and progressive denied my claim. I now have 6 cars, 5 bikes, 1 boat, 4 restaurants, and 2 houses that I want to move away from Progressive.

That being said, back to my question; has anyone filed a claim with State Farm? If so, how did it go?

I was entertaining switching the Allstate but I hear this kinda BS with them all the time so it makes me think twice about switching. currently I have progressive but they suck balls cause they won't insure it for more then the book value so needless to say I will be switching either way. bike has been down for a very long time so being stolen or crashed hasn't been an issue.

Allstate said they wud insure my bike for its actual value as long as I cud provide receipts from a credible shop. but I question going with them due to their poor customer service. if they can't even return a phone call from a client who has numerous bikes, cars, houses etc.... then it may not be worth my time.

I filed a claim with them last year after dumping my bike. One phone call to them, dropped bike off at the dealer, one month later I got my bike back. I paid my 500 deductible and State Farm paid the balance. Altogether the bill came to 4900 dollars and they paid it all, even the R77 carbons. Rates stayed the same also. No problems.

Anyone with Progressive better hurry up and change over to ANYONE other than them......put jets on it! I had those bastards, filed a claim and the next day they went into the system and changed my coverage and they denied my claim on the basis of not having coverage. They made a fatal mistake though, and that was giving me access to the online system. As soon as I filed the claim I went into the system and downloaded my entire insurance file. I also had them generate an automated coverage page. The page went out via mail on the 26th and they changed my coverage on the 27th. I produced the documents and they still fought me tooth and nail to deny my claim. It took 3 months and a Dept. of Insurance complaint to get paid. After they paid me they jacked up my rate to 4990.00 a year for one bike and billed me 432.00 they said was overdue. They told me if I didnt pay immediately they would send it to collections. I paid them out of their settlement check and switched to Geico, 80 bucks a month for full collision, comprehensive and the whole shebang. Run from Progressive they are criminals.

I had the big crash in 2007, it wasn't my fault and we filed on the driver of the truck that pulled out in front of me and we maxed out the policy but there wasn't enough to cover all the medical. We filed uninsured motorist on my State Farm insurance and they paid up in less than a week. My insurance hasn't changed in any way since then...

State Farm has been really good to me!

Haven't had any bike claims but I have had a hail damage on a car I had with them. They paid in a timely fashion, no problem, no rate increase.

Anyone with Progressive better hurry up and change over to ANYONE other than them......put jets on it! I had those bastards, filed a claim and the next day they went into the system and changed my coverage and they denied my claim on the basis of not having coverage. They made a fatal mistake though, and that was giving me access to the online system. As soon as I filed the claim I went into the system and downloaded my entire insurance file. I also had them generate an automated coverage page. The page went out via mail on the 26th and they changed my coverage on the 27th. I produced the documents and they still fought me tooth and nail to deny my claim. It took 3 months and a Dept. of Insurance complaint to get paid. After they paid me they jacked up my rate to 4990.00 a year for one bike and billed me 432.00 they said was overdue. They told me if I didnt pay immediately they would send it to collections. I paid them out of their settlement check and switched to Geico, 80 bucks a month for full collision, comprehensive and the whole shebang. Run from Progressive they are criminals.
OK! That's scary because I bought a CBR and threw it on my insurance. I KNEW I put full coverage on it, I just KNEW it. But the bike got stolen, and when I called in they said I didn't have full coverage, and "sorry about your luck". When I went online I saw that I only had the lowest of limits, and I NEVER put the lowest of limits, I do the highest 100/300/100. I had a friend crash his bike into a store window and damaged HELLA stuff, he had the lowest limits so the insurance company covered some of it, and the store sued him for the rest which was like 40k, and won! Ever since then I NEVER put anything but the highest limits. Now you're making me think, maybe I actually did have full coverage like I thought, but they switched it. At the time I just let it go and sucked it up as a loss thinking it was my mistake for not putting the correct coverage. I'm switching out tomorrow, F*** Progressive!

State Farms here, no problems. They paid me almost $25K when I broke my shoulder in a crash where the guy who ran me did not stop. No problem. Not cheapest but they also cover me on the track, which is unheard of these days. Part of your problem might be that you have so many bikes. They might think you are dealing or something. If a guy has 1 bike he will guard it like it was his "stuff." If he has 11 he is less protective - might loan them out to friends etc.

state farm here ... no issues...have been with them for long time house, tons of cars, and bikes. Few claims through the years all hail never an issue getting repairs done. You just had a bad rep who didnt care.

They all suck , I've been with progressive on the bike since 08, but I have min coverage so they'll be screwed on changing that coverage :rofl:

geico is a bunch of scam artists! u didn't make any progress by switching to those thieves.

Well you want to get me started here, When the yellow Bus was stolen, i called to start a claim. StateFarm proceeds to tell me that a out side adjuster will be getting involve because of the Total loss.
When i bought the policy i was told that my upgrades would be covered, well that is true to a point. Make sure that your agent didn't sell you the lowest limits. If they did or for any policy, you need to find out what the pay out limits are, to make sure you are covered for what you own.
That way you can adjust your limits to the proper value of your stuff!

Oh yeh,, and too be blunt here State Farm's total loss department ,,,,,,, SUXS

All insurance companies are thieves. I had progressive and my sister borrowed one of my cars and was in a fender bender. That turned in to a headache and rates went crazy high. I went to allied(all state) and they saved me some money on my 4 cars but, every time renewal came around the rates went up. Got fed up with them and last week switched everything to all state. Saved me about $300 per vehicle every six months and the busa (which I had with another ins. Company) went from 1000 a year to $450. I also took the uninsured motorist and stacked it so that it covers/transfers to the bike. uninsured alone was an extra $800 on other insurance companies so I never had it on the bike.
As for customer service: the agent that took care of me told me that if I put my house with them, they would give me another 12% discount on everything so I said: get me a quote. A week went by and no emails were being returned and didn't hear anything from them. Finally, I get a call from another agent saying that she was going to be handling my account because the other agent was no longer with them. Had to explained everything to this new girl and now waiting for the quote. Good customer service is hard to come by now a days. Go to my Toyota dealership and you'll feel better about state farm's CS. :banghead:

Seems like All State is the way to go, I'm only going to insure 3 of my bikes with them since I'm trying to sell 2 of them. Full coverage on a 2012 Harley Street Glide, Full coverage on a 07 busa, and liability on a 2000 CRB F4 is $1600 a year. That's high from what I'm used to, but it could be worse, I could be saving $800 a year with progressive and have them never pay out if something does happen. I've never had a motorcycle claim, and I pray I never do, but I'd like to know I'm not going to get shafted IF that day ever comes.

Thanks for all your help

Back