Starting/running problems

logang1k

Registered
I am on here for a friend that is having some irritating problems with his 2002 busa. He has to crank and crank his bike to start it. It starts quicker if he turns on his fast idler. He also has a studder at wot around 6000-7000rpms, but if he rolls off a bit it will pull out of it. He has a tre, K&N, full yosh trs system and a pc3usb (that has been disconnected until we figure out the problem). I have read on here a few things that I am going to have to check out for him this weekend. It looks like I need to sync his tps, find someone to sync his tb's, check his fuel pump/filter(it doesn't have a steady hum when you start the bike, it kind of oscillates), clean his tb's. Anything else? I am kind of starting this thread just to let everyone know our progress. He has lived with this problem for awhile and was furious to the point of selling it (luckily the guy backed out). All of the shops here in southern Indiana have a 3 week waiting list for service and we are leaving to go to deals gap next Tuesday. I hope I can have this resolved by then.

Thank you for any help,
Logan

Sounds like you have all the good starting points covered. I would unhook the TRE also, just to be sure, and then start on the list that you have. Let us know how it goes! :beerchug:

possible fuel starvation above 6000 rpm?

Sounds like you are heading the right general direction with cleaning up the fuel system.

possible fuel starvation above 6000 rpm?

Sounds like you are heading the right general direction with cleaning up the fuel system.

Yeah I did a lot of research before I posted. This thread is kind of just to make sure I have all of my bases covered. I saw that nickslick had a service manual stickied but it asked me for a username and password when I right clicked, save as'd it. Any where else I can check one out? I have one for my 2003 gixxer 1000, i bet the sequence is pretty similar.

So when I take the Fuel pump out are the filters serviceable? Do I need to order new ones or can I clean it?

Where in Ind. are you guys? There are alot of us here in Ind. you guys will have to hook up with us on some rides we do down south (nashville, story, bloomington areas)

anyway try removing the tre too. It might be a bad map and has he changed his plugs?

Yeah I did a lot of research before I posted. This thread is kind of just to make sure I have all of my bases covered. I saw that nickslick had a service manual stickied but it asked me for a username and password when I right clicked, save as'd it. Any where else I can check one out? I have one for my 2003 gixxer 1000, i bet the sequence is pretty similar.

So when I take the Fuel pump out are the filters serviceable? Do I need to order new ones or can I clean it?

I wouldnt try svc'ing the fuel pump unless you've already done something like that. but yes it can be totally rebuilt and filters can be changed. sounds more like ignition to me

Where in Ind. are you guys? There are alot of us here in Ind. you guys will have to hook up with us on some rides we do down south (nashville, story, bloomington areas)

anyway try removing the tre too. It might be a bad map and has he changed his plugs?

We live in tell city. we ride sr66 and sr62 down here by the river. I have plans to ride up and hit 135/46/446/58 because I always hear so much about them. I could use a tour guide if you guys are interested.

Next week we are spending Tues/wed/Thurs/Friday in robbinsville,NC hitting up those roads and then we are going back on the 26th for some hayabusa meet down there at the gap.

I wouldnt try svc'ing the fuel pump unless you've already done something like that. but yes it can be totally rebuilt and filters can be changed. sounds more like ignition to me
I read something about removing the filter and installing an in line filter between the pump and fuel rail. I am going to check the fuel pressure first before I do anything.

SO I am trying this home made sync tool out on my bike first. I have a 2003 gsxr1000 and it has separate screws for each tb. I get it dead nuts at idle but when I bring the revs up to 3000rpm+/- the center two tb (2&3) rise up and the other two drop. Is that normal or do I have more work to do?

We live in tell city. we ride sr66 and sr62 down here by the river. I have plans to ride up and hit 135/46/446/58 because I always hear so much about them. I could use a tour guide if you guys are interested.

Next week we are spending Tues/wed/Thurs/Friday in robbinsville,NC hitting up those roads and then we are going back on the 26th for some hayabusa meet down there at the gap.

I'll meet you on the 27th then:thumbsup: Proud dad on here lives in camby IN he takes on 135 alot. He's been running that road for years. We'll def. let you know next time we're headed that way

SO I am trying this home made sync tool out on my bike first. I have a 2003 gsxr1000 and it has separate screws for each tb. I get it dead nuts at idle but when I bring the revs up to 3000rpm+/- the center two tb (2&3) rise up and the other two drop. Is that normal or do I have more work to do?

Man I've never done it. only watched it be done. Looks not very easy. Sorry I cant be more help there. Try PMing Omslaw or MCmustang they know how to do it. :agree:

what hotel are you guys staying at on the 26th. Most of us are at the Phillips Motel and some at Micro hotel.

microtel look forward to meeting you. My friend is thinking about skipping out Saturday and doing the Total Control Advanced Riders Course in Maryville. I'll probably go to watch. Here is my bike:
DSCN0682.jpg
DSCN0680.jpg

Stock motor,m4 slip-on, 1 up r,1 down f, F&R suspension reworked for my weight, galfer lines pads oversized 330mm rotors, brembo radial M/C, vortex rearsets, woodcraft clip-ons

Wow his tb were a bit out of sync but his fuel pump screen was filthy. Rust chunks and fibers with a lot of rust paste at the bottom. We haven't put it back together yet but I hope this helps.

We buttoned it back up after we cleaned his tb's, fuel pump screen and sync'd his tb's. We had a lot of problems syncing his tb's. They would wander with out us touching anything. He took it out and when he came back he said it had all of its power back below 6000 but it still sounds like he is hitting a rev limiter. I couldn't find a fuel pressure test that had the quick connects so we didn't get to test that. He thinks it is a valve problem because he hasn't had them adjusted. It also is still hard to start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am new to the forum but, I had a question...I was in the twisties yesterday and pulled over with a couple of buddies for a break. when I tried to start my bike up again, while in neutral with the kickstand up, it came on but the engine would not start. I had to play with it a little, putting it in first gear and pushing in the kick stand ignition kill, among other things and it finally started. It was almost as if the bike was fully juiced electrically wise but it would not start. it gave me problems like that throughout the rest of the day when I would shut it off and try to turn it back on. does anyone know about this problem or know how I can fix it? I have a 07 so, the bike is pretty new. I do have a PCIII on it but the map is for yoshimura pipes not akrapovic bolt ons. thanks

I installed a new fuel pump assembly tonight and it was back to normal. I think he could have gotten by with just a fuel filter but he wanted to replace it all. Afterwards I cut the filter open and each pleat looked like it had a thin coat of mud on it.

Back