Starting problems, with test result numbers

Lucid

Registered
Quick points:
  • Had the bike for about 6mo.
  • Battery went out about a month ago, so it was replaced.
  • Still had longer than usual starts, but it still started everytime.
  • Starts MUCH better cold than hot. I don't even ride it anymore if I have more than one stop. It starts fine if it sits for a 1.5hrs or more.

Took it to the drag strip when it was stock, right after I got a new battery. After about 4 runs, in the middle of the 5th, it started hesitating like CRAZY. I grabbed the clutch and coasted, and it died after a few seconds. It started back up while riding though.
I let it sit for about 2hrs, but I had to ride home. (about 30mins away) It started and ran fine on the way home. (rode like a grandma)

My buddy that knows Busa's pretty well took a look at it and said it was the stator. The head and tail lights would flicker, which he said was a symptom of a bad stator, and that the bike was running off the battery, which was not enough to power the injector spray which is what caused the hesitation and starting problems.

I got a used stator off ebay, and I think this one is bad too.

Numbers:

Battery: (within spec)
12.4 at rest
13.8 @ idle
13.9ish at 5k (dropped A LOT while revving it up to 5k though. down to 0-2 until finally getting back up to 13s. Not sure if the voltmeter fell off or it's a symptom of something)

Reg/Rectifier: Diode test
This was odd:
B/R and B/W to B1-3 were fine I think. .45 (voltmeter said 450?)
B/W to B/R was -483?
B1, 2 and 3s to each other were all 001

Stator:
3 wire connector taken apart, I tested with knob on resistance.
Only black to blue would give a reading, which was .01 on 20k and 4.7 on 200. (not sure what the best number to test was on the voltmeter)
Black to red or red to blue were 0.

With the connector back together and motor on I got
4.9v and 4.9 @5k with the dial at the 20.

So the ebay stator is bad!

But does anyone know about the reg/rectifier readings? I'm glad they all got a reading but it just seemed strange. Wondering if I need to replace that too.

Also, how the hell has this battery been charging since the stator is out? The rectifier doesn't do much without a proper stator, right?

Last edited:
Back