Starting Problems Changed The Fuel Pump

Smooth_busa

Registered
This is my first post. I own a 2004 Hayabusa. I changed the fuel pump and took it for a nice ride. Everything was fine until we stop to get something to eat and then she would not start. We bump started it and it started up but then 10 minutes later it started sputtering and stop. Got it home on the trailer and tried to start it up and then battery just died on me. I bought new battery and she does not start. I don't what the next step is because I do not want to take to Suzuki dealership. I am thinking it may be the starter but why would it just stop on. Any advice or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Ck the dealer, Gen 2 has a recall on ( electrical components / charging system defects ) Maybe gen 1 is also included in the recall campaign.

I am assuming you had some fuel problems previously & that's why you replaced your fuel pump? You don't mention if you experienced this same problem prior to changing your fuel pump? Is your pump brand new or did someone rebuild it?

I am assuming you had some fuel problems previously & that's why you replaced your fuel pump? You don't mention if you experienced this same problem prior to changing your fuel pump? Is your pump brand new or did someone rebuild it?
I got a new fuel pump...no don't recall because I changed chainot, sprockets and the clutches

Last edited:
When you did the pump, did you do the fuel filter too? I know there has been a lot people posting about issues like this, just to find out the pump is not the problem, the filter is.

Its the big black plastic housing the pump plugs into. Good to ck the fuel pressure before you buy one. There is a thread on here of someone bypassing the filter and using a $5 external filter. If your filter is partially blocked you will get performance issues. If completely clogged then probably won't start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Smooth Busa, the fuel pump is new so more than likely it's not the problem, unless its defective, or there is a clogged fuel line somewhere, pressure check is a good call. I had a VMAX years ago which had a bad stator (magnets were cracked), had to get towed home, that would spin the engine but it would feel like it would almost ignite but didn't. Since you already ordered your stator, once replaced, please let us know the results & if the stator magnets were cracked. Good luck.

Per Smooth Busa, the fuel pump is new so more than likely it's not the problem, unless its defective, or there is a clogged fuel line somewhere, pressure check is a good call. I had a VMAX years ago which had a bad stator (magnets were cracked), had to get towed home, that would spin the engine but it would feel like it would almost ignite but didn't. Since you already ordered your stator, once replaced, please let us know the results & if the stator magnets were cracked. Good luck.
That is exactly what happened to me. I will keep you updated...

This is my first post. I own a 2004 Hayabusa. I changed the fuel pump and took it for a nice ride. Everything was fine until we stop to get something to eat and then she would not start. We bump started it and it started up but then 10 minutes later it started sputtering and stop. Got it home on the trailer and tried to start it up and then battery just died on me. I bought new battery and she does not start. I don't what the next step is because I do not want to take to Suzuki dealership. I am thinking it may be the starter but why would it just stop on. Any advice or suggestions? Thank you in advance.
UPDATE: Changed the stator and the rectifier...still nothing. Check the spark plugs and number 2 plug all the threads came off of the plug...

Back