Starting problem with Gen 1 busa

JayBoog

Registered
Hi guys. I'm from Kenya and very new to the Busa world. I have an 05 Busa and I absolutely love her.. She was running perfect when I got her untill I did minor service on it and my problems started. I kept the standard CR9 plugs but changed the filters and oil.. From there the bike started burning rich, even after replacing the very dirty air filter with a hiflo filter.. Now she keeps flooding the plugs and I have to remove and clean them. It starts perfectly after that.. But still has black smoke. Please help me guys

Welcome to the oRg.
When you removed the air box to access the spark plugs you may have left the IAP sensor connector plug disconnected, or the vacuum hose to the IAP sensor left disconnected.
The IAP (intake air pressure sensor, basically a MAP sensor) is located at the back of the air box , screwed to it, vacuum hose and connector plug on it.

This sensor affects fuel mapping and if disconnected or damaged, will cause poor running.

Last edited:
Hi Kiwi, i checked the MAP sensor and there seems to be no pipe allowance on the sensor. maybe the previous owner had it changed. During service though, i noticed the vacuum actuator pipe was closed up using a zip tie so the actuator wasnt actually connected to anything.. so now im confused bcz it seems im back to square 1. bike is running a bit rough, black smoke on acceleration, and plugs keep getting wet.

If you don’t have a service manual, you need to get one, and go through these items and set them up the way the manual shows the vacuum hoses routing and connecting to the IAP (MAP) sensor.
It should not be zip tied, it must be fitted to the sensor for the ECU to read the manifold pressure and allow the correct injector timing and fuelling.

Sorry guys i think maybe i wasnt very clear. The MAP sesnsor doesnt have the protrusion for a pipe to connect to it, maybe the previous owner cut the protrusion? funny thing is i couldnt see any hanging pipes to connect to the MAP sensor. Only the wires are connected to the sensor. but no pipe was connected.. I also wonder how come it wasnt burning rich before service.

2. Also, the vacuum actuated valve on the underside of the airbox was zip tied at first. I untied it and connected the pipe to the valve.. while bike is running, the valve thingy moves in and out (I was told thats how it works).

do i need to buy a new MAP sensor and connect it to its proper pipe and see how it works?
This is quite frustrating as my baby is gulping lots of fuel, and smells of fuel too. sometimes i feel like i might catch fire while idling in the hot sun lol!

Sorry guys i think maybe i wasnt very clear. The MAP sesnsor doesnt have the protrusion for a pipe to connect to it, maybe the previous owner cut the protrusion? funny thing is i couldnt see any hanging pipes to connect to the MAP sensor. Only the wires are connected to the sensor. but no pipe was connected.. I also wonder how come it wasnt burning rich before service.

2. Also, the vacuum actuated valve on the underside of the airbox was zip tied at first. I untied it and connected the pipe to the valve.. while bike is running, the valve thingy moves in and out (I was told thats how it works).

do i need to buy a new MAP sensor and connect it to its proper pipe and see how it works?
This is quite frustrating as my baby is gulping lots of fuel, and smells of fuel too. sometimes i feel like i might catch fire while idling in the hot sun lol!
Flapper valve vac line zip tied maybe? Pics please we can figure this out ,,,,,

Back