Starting Issues...

Y2K81

Registered
Got the bike all back together and everything checks out. Except when I hit the starter. Get like 2 revolutions and nuthin. Everything dims on the dash and then resets.

Battery is brand new and came with a trickle charger. That all aside I'm stumped except for maybe the battery was that one that shouldn't have made the passing grade.

Checked all connections... Everything is clean and tight. Just how I like em lol.

Battery checks out ok with 200 cca's.
Is this enough? I'm going to post a vid in a couple hrs of it trying to start.

Take the battery out and have it tested somewhere, like auto zone - it is acting like a dying battery... the way that your dash keeps cycling though, it is possible that you have a short somewhere...

Did just have him test it yesterday. Read 200cca when he hooked it up. So we've eliminated that issue. Battery is only a month old. A short eh... Sigh my worst fears with anything I work on.

That's not a short, they do that when the battery is no good, it just cycles through its self diagnostic routine.

Hook it up to the battery on your truck (without the truck running) and see if it does the same thing.

Same thing... No difference in length of start or power on start. I'm going to conclude it's not the battery. The doctor will pick it up and become acquainted with her on Tues.

If you're absolutely sure about that battery and connections then you're left with starter or starter clutch

Ok you posted the cranking amps, but what is the voltage during the cranking?
What has been done to the bike, the start or starter clutch could be binding

CCAs seem low. I think stock is 300 CCA.

Plus you can see it cuts out completely when you are trying to start it.

Go to an automotive battery dealer and have them do a load test on the battery.

You should hear main relay click as soon as you plug the Positive and Negative cables.

I would be surprised if it is not the battery. When was the last time you checked the rectifier ? I went through 3 batteries on my 05 before I got a good one. check your manual for procedure.

I'm with everyone on the battery. As far as jump starting goes, I have never been able to jump start my bike with one of my other vehicles. I know it sounds crazy, but the 10 or so times I've tried it, bike acts like if there were no jumper cables hooked to it at all.

Ok little bit of an update guys...
Spoke with original owner...

Bike was having an issue where it wouldn't start after it was ridden for awhile. Cool down period and no problem. Then no start and the guy tried bump starting it.

Blew the casing and here we are after I get the casing all fixed.

Mechanic says he's getting a big kickback which I confirm as well during starting.

Worried she may have skipped a tooth... Keep the ideas coming. I'm on a budget lol.

CCAs seem low. I think stock is 300 CCA.

Plus you can see it cuts out completely when you are trying to start it.

Go to an automotive battery dealer and have them do a load test on the battery.

You should hear main relay click as soon as you plug the Positive and Negative cables.
Local dealer says stock battery is 175cca

I'm new to the forum & to Hayabusa's (one month owner of 2008 model) but not to motorcycles (Harley owner for over 25 years). Love my Busa, should have bought one years ago, so much fun. Anyway, thought I would chime in but don't know if it will help. Your video starting symthoms similar to my harley problem I had about a year ago. Battery full charged, as soon as I pressed the start button, it would try to start & then cut off, tried checking all my connections, tried jump starting it from my car battery, same problem. I didn't have a tester, now I do, so I took my battery to my local shop, who did a CCA check & it was defective, new battery, started right up. However, yours appear to have tested sat to 200. I agree with the others that your problem points to a battery related one, do you have a bro who would let you borrow his battery to test it on your bike? Lastly, do a final check to ensure your positive cable is not shorting out somewhere. Good luck.

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!!!, its your starter,
symptoms and signs,
1 bike used to start fine, but act as if the battery is dead when the bike is hot, but starter fine again after several min.
that gradually gets worse till finally it wont start even when its cold
2, in the beginning phases of this problem, jump starting sometimes get it starter, that because the extra amps help unbind the bad starter.
3, fully charged battery drops volts durring cranking.
4, one or both battery posts or cables get really hot, thats because the bad starter is shorting out inside.

if have several vids on youtube regarding my search for this cure.

Back