Starting Issues

busastrom

Registered
Hi all.
It's been a while since I've posted on here but wanted to see if I could get some advice from you all.
I've been doing the spring maintenance on my 2008 Hayabusa. After changing the oil I went to start it up with no luck. All lights turn on, fuel pump turns on.
I thought it might be the battery since it is the original. After replacing it, it's doing the same thing.

I have it on stands, kick stand up and in neutral.
When I try to start it here are the four scenarios that happen (llights work in every scenario)
1: it makes no noise at all
2: it makes 1 click and nothing else
3: it cranks a couple times but not enough to turn engine
4: it cranks enough to start engine. Engine starts very quickly and easily.

This is the same behavior on both old and new battery. It was last run in November and was housed in a heated garage all winter with a battery tender.
Any idea where to start?

Thanks all.

Check your wires at the wire to the battery both sides,starter and the relay ! Maybe a faulty red power switch !

Sounds stupid, but check the clutch switch on the handlebar... also, the start button it self...

Thanks all.
I'll take a look at those switches tonight to see if there is a bad connection and let you know.

Check your wiring to the starter. You may have accumulated corrosion on the leads to the starter.

A 12volt test light is your friend. Find the spot where the electrons stop flowing and I'll show you where your problem is.

All:
Just wanted to follow up and let you know it ended up being a bad clutch switch. I switched it out after seeing how bad it looked and it started right up without issues.

Thanks for the help!

All: Just wanted to follow up and let you know it ended up being a bad clutch switch. I switched it out after seeing how bad it looked and it started right up without issues. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got her fixed up!

Back