Starter switch

nychris

Registered
I bought an '02 a month ago and I've had a problem with bike starting ever since I got it. I'll press the starter and the engine will turn for a second and then stop. I'll press it again and then it will start up. Sometimes it starts up right away, other times it takes 2-3 times before it kicks in. A guy with a GSXR 750 told me that a lot of the Suzuki's around that year have bad starter switches? What do you guys think? Do I just need to replace the starter switch?

Thanks!

dont give gas at all when you press start. secondly try giving it a choke. and last and final try is adjust the initial rpm knob.

I tried a few times with the choke all the way up and it started up each time. Is this something that other hayabusa owners have to do each time they start the bike?

Where is the initial RPM knob?

Thanks

Make sure you let the fuel pump prime it self before starting; if it is warm out side, the choke isn't needed.Your bike has other issues if it needs a choke on a warm summer day.My bike fires right up once the injectors are primed---even if it hasn't been ridden in a couple of weeks.

its not a choke, its called a fast idle. you'll get the same effect by turning the throttle and holding it in place. i believe it says in the manual that if the engine is cold (not only from weather, but from not being run for a period of time) you turn the fast idle up, start the engine, and let it run til it reaches normal operating temp. then turn of the fast idle and go. this gives the engine enough time to get oil and get everything lubed before you jump on it and give the engine too many rpms and burn up internals

I bought an '02 a month ago and I've had a problem with bike starting ever since I got it.   I'll press the starter and the engine will turn for a second and then stop.  I'll press it again and then it will start up.   Sometimes it starts up right away, other times it takes 2-3 times before it kicks in.     A guy with a GSXR 750 told me that a lot of the Suzuki's around that year have bad starter switches?   What do you guys think?     Do I just need to replace the starter switch?

Thanks!
Define "engine will turn for a second and then stop." Does the motor keep trying to turn, but you get like clicking or does it completely stop like you let off the button?
1) If it is clicking or slowing when you are cranking, try a full charge on the battery or a new battery. Check your fast idle setting (might be set too low, mine was), check your normal idle setting (might be too low, mine was). I put my fast idle to 2600 RPMS and my idle to 1300. But that is just me. Also, check the DIY forum for a headlight fix that seemed to solve my starting problem.
2) If the engine just stops cranking, then it could very well be your switch. There isn't much too them and it could be making bad contact.

Define "engine will turn for a second and then stop." Does the motor keep trying to turn, but you get like clicking or does it completely stop like you let off the button?
1) If it is clicking or slowing when you are cranking, try a full charge on the battery or a new battery. Check your fast idle setting (might be set too low, mine was), check your normal idle setting (might be too low, mine was). I put my fast idle to 2600 RPMS and my idle to 1300. But that is just me. Also, check the DIY forum for a headlight fix that seemed to solve my starting problem.
2) If the engine just stops cranking, then it could very well be your switch. There isn't much too them and it could be making bad contact.
The engine keeps turning over but it doesn't start up. I don't hear any clicking and it doesnt' slow down. I'll let go of the starter and then press it back in and it will start the second time when I have this problem.

How do you check your fast and normal idle settings?

I'll look into the headlight fix. Thanks.

The funny thing is that since I posted this thread it hasn't happened again, lol.

<!--EDIT|nychris
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155710720 -->

Back