Starter spins but won't crank the bike

Fredyp33

Registered
For the past couple of days now, every time I go to start the bike, the starter spins very strong like normal, but has a hard time catching and cranking the bike. It's a little better when the bike is warmed up, but not much better.

After holding the starter for 3-4 seconds, it might get a small catch and I'll try to give it some gas to really start the motor properly.

It's sort of like trying to start an old Chevy Pickup truck, you have to hold the starter down and try and give it some gas at just the right moment for it to fire up.

Has anyone had an issue like this before, if so, where should I start looking?

I thought it might be the sparkplugs, but once the bike does start, it runs great.

Starter would be first thought not being there if your a car guy, but the starter in the busa doesn't have a kick out bendix like a car their direct drive...Most like your going to replace your stater clutch... test it first by removing starter covers and it should lock one way and free spin other way. If you wiggle it the way it's suppose to lock and it slips, you found your issue. If you have 03-up starter setup and the clutch is okay it's your top sprag clutch that's bad... :thumbsup: hope you solve your problem... if this solves your problem do donate a few dollars to the board... Dealership would have charged $87 for that info. if they would even tell you..

Thanks Daniel...guess im used to replacing the bendix on my harleys! LOL

the hammer smack only works for a while....you have to replace it every now and then. Or push it! :laugh:

the hammer smack only works for a while....you have to replace it every now and then. Or push it! :laugh:

Lol. You could try pull starting like that guy on YouTube.

I've replace my share of starters for guys. Some where so battered it just makes you laugh. Really who wants to spend all that time beating on your bike and not riding. Plus you lose cool factor in front of well everyone.

The things i have rigged up to get my harley home would curl some peoples hair at the thought. But being the biker i am, calling the tralier is one option of complete last resort!

Glad the Busa hasnt failed me yet! :thumbsup:

Back