Starter Kickback / Idler gear problem ?

Glamisman

Registered
The engine used to be very quite (2002) but now I have an odd sound coming from the engine... it appeared immediatly after the starter motor kicked back. What exactly do you see when you pull it apart to see if it is the starter idler gear or if it is related to the starting system ?

Here check this out Just copy and paste...I'm to lazy to link it for you...

I disassembled the starting system and found galling on the one way clutch.

What causes this?

Are there better parts avalible?

Looks like $170 from the dealer, lets hope it isnt special order...

<!--EDIT|Glamisman
Reason for Edit: "new information"|1110777482 -->

Gear1.jpg

Do you have ext. warranty???If so they will replace under it...If your cool with your dealer they will take care of it for you also...

You can upgrade to 03 spec parts but you will have to buy more than just the starter clutch. There is a list somewhere on here with the part #'s of everything that you have to replace to make it 03 spec.

<!--EDIT|Blue Streak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110777819 -->

03 starter (longer shaft for wider idler gear)
03 starter housing
03 starter cover
03 idler gear with incorporated clutch
03 idler gear pin
03 gaskets

Total cost around $625

Starter idler gear No. 1 is changed to a starter Limiter idler gear. This is like the setup on the DR-Z400E [Big bore dirt bike] No longer needed are the stock washers, bearing, and pin for the idler gear.[new # for the pin]

The starter motor is changed, looks like the shaft is longer.

Both of the starter covers are changed, for more room.

The Bulletin also says, DO NOT INSTALL THE K-3 [2003] STYLE STARTER CLUTCH IN AN EARLIER MODEL GSX1300R. So it looks like the starter clutch has been changed for 2003, but NOT INTERCHANGABLE WITH THE 99-02

smile.gif

Just got through calling the six Suzuki dealers in my area (San Diego) and all parts people I spoke with have never heard of the service bulletin and they do not have the parts in stock. I realize that it is a SERVICE bulletin, but the parts have to come through the parts department for the service department.

Anyone know of a good parts source that has them in stock and ready to ship?

Expanded the search to 75 miles and still no instock parts ...

If there are any Suzuki dealers that read these posts...
What parts do you stock, stickers and shirts?

<!--EDIT|Glamisman
Reason for Edit: "New info"|1110827140 -->

Installed the new one way clutch mechanism and all seems well, the only problem was I didnt pay that close of attention to the origial placement of the cover retianing bolts and noticed that there were different sizes so it took a little time to put them back in the correct places...

Back