Starter Clutch problems

Schubert

Registered
Hi all, well after my encounter with a badger last year that took out me and the busa I finally got it all rebuilt last week. Went to go out for a first blast and noticed that the starter seemed to be not engaging on starter up, then it did.

Now it wont engage at all. Have checked the connections and other gears etc and everything looks fine, no damage or anything. Im left with the only problem possible being the starter clutch. Does anyone have a spare going cheap or know the best place to get one online as they seem very expensive.

Also found lots of posts giving conflicting information on which versions fit which models, specifically whether the 2003 on version (which is a different design to stop the problem) will fit straight onto an earlier model (mines a 2002 uk) or if you need to get the longer shaft and different starter case cover.

Any help on this very much appreciated as after spending a small fortune to get her back on the road shes now sat in the garage in bits again :( :(

First check your starter! Open it open and make sure its ok! Best place for a used starter clutch is EBAY

Starter fine, removed and checked on the bench, same with the solenoid etc, everything works to the point the starter gears will not engage,

thanks

Chris

Ok, have done a whole load of research trying to find the right starter clutch, basically there are there are a few different types

1999 2003 - Original Part No 12600-24840 replaced with Part No 12600-24850
2004 - 2007 - Original Part No 12600-24860 replaced with Part No 12600-24861

However the 24850 is showing as a standard fitment part for ALL the above, with the 24861 as standard fitment from 2004 onwards. So basically saying the original part will fit all busa's upto 2007 BUT the improved version (which seems to come with an extra bearing) is only for 2004 on. Does this mean if I get a newer starter clutch it wont fit my bike (2002).

All I can find in difference between the two is that one has splines all the way round and a locating punch mark and the other has a 'blank' part to ease installation. This is where it gets confusing, which version has what and are they interchangable?

Suzuki were no help at all so Im hoping the wealth of experience here might be able to throw some more light on this as currently the only place I can get one is America so with shipping its still expensive and so not wanting to order the wrong one and it not fit, but would really like to put on a newer version.

thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Chris

No it fits i have a 02 and put on a 04 starter clutch. The 02 had starter problems that why i said open it up and take it apart to make sure the magnets are still on the inside of the case!

I upgraded my 2000 model to the newer style starter.

Main parts are the starter, clutch, and cover, IIRC.

GO to Ron Ayers and use the Microfiches to compare the two and you will see which ones are different. That is what I did

Hey glad you got it figured out I had the same problem ....with the clutch and used a pop can to get me by till my new one arrived ..if its going to be awhile you could do this too ...the rollers get beat down and a pop cans thickness was just right to allow the cltch to spin freely after the bike is started ...simply cut your can in a strip the size to place between the rollers and the contact point ....then test to be sure it will engage one way only ...and you will have another month at least ....it helped me jmo

Back