Stark Power Lithium Battery

bigjack7679

Registered
My Yuasa battery just went bad with just over 2 years of use. I kept it on a tender but there were cases where the battery would drain completely due to leaving the lights on.

So, I just pulled the trigger on a lithium battery for the Busa made my Stark Power. I decided to give them a try, because their batteries seem to have pretty good technology that bikers can really appreciate. Plus, they supply a maintainer with their batteries so no need to purchase one.

I like the fact that this battery will shut itself off if the voltages drops below a certain point. So if you leave your key on, you will be safe. I went with the bigger version since I will be running Hid’s (High and Low beam) with Halos that I will leave on when parked sometimes.

This particular model is priced at $230, but there are other options ranging from $130 to $230 for the Busa. Here are the specs. :laugh:

12V18Ah-US4 StarkPower "ULTRA START" Lithium Ion Starter Battery, FREE CHARGER !

What is IQ-Restart Technology"?
“IQ Restart Technologyâ€￾ protects the battery from a deep cycle discharge by monitoring the battery voltage level and shutting the battery power off prior to a full discharge, such as in the case of leaving a headlight, radio or electrical component on for an extended period of time while the engine is off.Enough battery reserve is left in the battery, to automatically detect starting effort with a key cycle and allows you to start your engine again. StarkPower is the only company that has this feature. This doesn’t leave you stranded or the headache to replace your battery.

Model No. SP-12V18-US4
Operating Voltage: 9V-14.4V
Cranking Amps: (CA) 600A
Cold Cranking Amps: (CCA) 500A
Cell Balancing: Yes (Internal)
Weight: 2.11lbs, (958g)

seems like a good deal. 500 cca is impressive. I bought an antigravity 20 cell for $340 but this seems just as good and far cheaper. wow only 2.5 lbs is much lighter then mine too

My next Li Po battery will have smart technology as my Shorai got too low once and does not have the same max voltage any more.

FYI---You can use standard battery tender on Shorai, it just doesnt balance the cells like a dedicated Lipo charger.

Does Tony Stark of Stark industries really make these batteries?

BB

My next Li Po battery will have smart technology as my Shorai got too low once and does not have the same max voltage any more.

FYI---You can use standard battery tender on Shorai, it just doesnt balance the cells like a dedicated Lipo charger.

BB

The good thing about these is it has the BMS in the battery. I spoke with Martin who i believe is the owner and he explained that the battery tender brand maintainer can be used on their batteries. It does not go above 14.6 volts when it charges so it is safe to use, A lot of other tenders on the market will go up to 16 vlots before they shut off which make them bad for lithium batteries. The down side to the battery tender charger is it smart capabilities will not charger a battery if it is to low in most cases. So if the lithium battery gets to low, it will not bring it back to life

But since the battery comes with a tender, no worries there. I will just use my Battery tender on the wife car.

Maybe Tony is behind the scene :rofl:

seems like a good deal. 500 cca is impressive. I bought an antigravity 20 cell for $340 but this seems just as good and far cheaper. wow only 2.5 lbs is much lighter then mine too

I was looking at the anitgravity pretty hard. I stumbled across Stark Power in a thread on a forum. It did not come up in any of my google searches. Well, I only look at the first page most of the time :whistle:

How are you liking the anitgravity?

Stay away from the battery tender brand li batteries. JUNK..... Ask Frisbee

Lmk how the stark holds up and if it seems to be a TRUE 500 cca battery...

I was looking at the anitgravity pretty hard. I stumbled across Stark Power in a thread on a forum. It did not come up in any of my google searches. Well, I only look at the first page most of the time :whistle:

How are you liking the anitgravity?
bike is at Powerhouse right now for some upgrades. pick up in couple weeks so ill let u know then

I have a Ballistic in my KTM and it's an amazingly good small lightweight powerful battery. No problems for a year anyway. Not so sure I want to spend $200+ when my busa battery goes. I may just go with a sealed AGM type. No big draw needs on my bike.

This little battery is amazing. I just did a hid retrofit with High and low beams. I'm using OEM ballast which pulls a lot of power. The bike turns over and starts a lot faster than it did before with the factory rated battery. Also, when I come in from riding, the battery is back at full charge in a minute or less using the tender that came with the battery. So far, seems like a really good buy.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I may be in the market for a new battery sooner rather than later and it's good to know the experience of someone who actually owns one instead of just marketing hype!

Lithium batteries should only lose about 10 % a year. Leave off charger to really see if it's a good battery. something you constantly recharge doesn't tell you if it really holds up to the task

Lithium batteries should only lose about 10 % a year. Leave off charger to really see if it's a good battery. something you constantly recharge doesn't tell you if it really holds up to the task

This is true. Im just anal about pluging it in even though I know the lithium doesn't really need it with every day use. I do however plan on testing the IQ technology which prevents the battery from being completely drained.

BB

Update on my Shorai which I thought was not giving full power anymore. I ordered a STARK 2.0 amp lifo charger and she is back to 14.50 volts. The stark charger was $20 compared to 75 for the shorai.

My next Lifo is a Tony Stark battery for sure as they include the charger for free when you buy their battery.

BB

I'm going on 5 years with the original factory battery. Still runs strong, I started the bike just yesterday after sitting a month with no tender and she fired right up. When I do put it on a tender it reports a full charge immediately. I know it's long in the tooth and I'd like to replace it with a lithium when it croaks but part of me says go proven OEM.

Bike has no added electronics and we don't have extended deep cold here in ABQ so I'm sure that's part of it.

I've always had good luck with batteries. I got 7 years on my last truck battery. 4 of those years were in Minot ND and 3 were in Hampton VA where it finally died so there's the extreme in hot and cold for you.

So many people report they were using a tender and their batteries had short life. I wonder if that's a factor or possibly a malfunction takes it off float charge and toasts the battery.

I just make sure my bike gets ridden or at least started every month.

As an RC hobbyist I can tell you that balanced cells are more important than overall charge for lithium chemistries. And yes once you go past a certain low voltage, they are done. Repeatedly draining them to the LVCO also lowers their life expectancy. Lithiums actually last longest (in storage) at a 60 percent storage charge than a full charge. This is part of the reason I have not pulled the trigger on buying one. I am waiting to hear on how they last on a longer term basis while constantly being maintained at a full charge.

I have now gone through my second shorai lithium battery and i am ready to run over it in my truck. I pulled it and ordered a yuasa battery with 230cca that i got for only $150 which included tax and shipping. Great deal since they seem to go retail for $200 or $225. Im done with these batteries for a while. Hopefully this will last and next time I might try the stark or something. BUT as God as my witness i will never own a shorai battery ever again. and I would recommend that everyone stay away from this junk.

I just ordered 2 of the 12AH batteries to shed some weight and boost my cca to 600 for a 24v system. You can't beat the price (charger included)....and the reviews are good so we'll see.

Back