standard clutch replacement - help needed!!!

richbilt

Registered
Hi all,

i'm just replacing clutch plates at the moment on a 99 full power UK busa (K1 i suppose) and i'm scratching my head a bit. when i removed the plates, the outermost 2 friction plates (i.e. the ones i removed first) were thicker than the rest. Also numbers 4, 5 & 6 metal plates were thicker than the rest (2.2 mm rather than 2 mm for the rest). Now i'm about to replace the friction plates but the parts manual i've got has an exploded diagram which shows the wider friction plates are the first and last ones in the clutch basket rather than the last two. Also, it shows only two 2.2 mm metal plates rather than 3. bugger.

does anyone know which is right - common sense tells me to follow the parts manual but i thought i'd better ask those who know for sure - you guys! Plus i know all this is crucial because i've already disassembled the clutch & i put the wider friction plates in first and last and it burnt out the outermose friction plate
sad.gif

any help would make a manchester based busa owner a happy bunny.

cheers

Rich

drive plate: (fiber)
"A" (drive plate) thikness 3.0mm 8pieces
"B" (drive plate) thikness 3.8mm 2pieces
driven plate: (steel)
"a" (driven plate) thikness 2.0mm 7pieces
"b" (driven plate" thikness 2.3mm 2 pieces
start putting the clutches in this order in the basket
B,a,A,a,A,a,A,b,A,b,A,a,A,a,A,a,A,a,B
hope this will help

righto - thanks. i think this is what the manual suggests so i guess it must be right! lots of thanks for your help!

rich

actually, that's a pain - my clutch has 3 of the wider 2.3 mm driven steel plates. do you think this will cause a problem & should i buy a replacement 2mm plate? can i get away with using 3 x 2.3mm driven plates?

cheers agin!

rich

if you have just one the wrong size it shouldn't matter, it's also better to go thicker than thinner. you should be good to go.

Back