Stand Up Wheelies?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Just a few questions for all you fun wheelie guys out there. Your response may help your fellow scooter friends improve? How do you get up to the standup position?
1. Do you stand up after you get the tire in the air and settled?
2. Do you stand up first, then lift the tire?
3. Do you stand up as you lift the tire all in one motion?
4. Do you have a different way of getting to the stand up position?
5. What tire pressure do you prefer when doing wheelies?
6. Who can do a mile long wheelie? <Standup or sit down>
7. Do you wheelie your Busa or prefer a lighter scooter for such fun?

1. You can, but it's a little tricky
2. Most usually do it this way
3. Haven't seen many people do this
4. Not really.
smile.gif

5.Depending on how long they are, people usually run a little bit lower PSI
6. Not intentionally. (Yeah right!) Can be done, but it requires a little more smoothness. Most will suggest a lighter ride to stunt on.

Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Before I got to see the Pros do it I thought I had to do a wheelie then stand up it was much harder than standing up and brining the bike up in a wheelie. Smaller bikes are better wind has a huge effect on the Busa. I would rather have a smaller bike for wheelies. Had a friend on vid that did wheelie 2 miles standing up.

Busa, for the most part, is just not a stunt bike. Wheelbase too long, too heavy, balance point about twelve o'clock. Your going to be about 10 feet tall with your stand up's...and then pull her into the garage to replace the fork seals you've just blown crashing back down to earth. Much better suited to the first gear, 4500rpm burnout power wheelies, just have your poop in a pile before twisting the throttle. And start an on-going rear tire fund.

Before I painted it and started the mod fest. I would stand up then just bounce and throttle it in second gear and it would come up with no problems. That was with a 16/40 and 4"'s extended, stock height.

Only in Texas "Bush Country" would you find a guy doing a standup wheelie dressed in a tux! You are to cool dude! Thanks for putting a smile on my face
smile.gif

And what, we needed to hear from the doctor to tell us that.

Lets see you been how fast
You have a bike tht does 0-60 in

You do high speed wheelies
you have GREEN Hayabusa
You are cust as crazy as the rest of us.
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Tuff
jump9.gif

The Dr. told me I had something wrong with me.

See above.

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101946139 -->

You hit the nail on the head 1127! I am in awe with those cans but I'm not sure Double D's are big enough. Every time I look at those things my tongue gets over my eye tooth and I can't see what I'm saying ;)

That's a nice scooter man! From the countryside, looks like you are somewhere in the northwest? Where do you call home?

1. Do you stand up after you get the tire in the air and settled? No
2. Do you stand up first, then lift the tire? Yes
3. Do you stand up as you lift the tire all in one motion?No
4. Do you have a different way of getting to the stand up position?No
5. What tire pressure do you prefer when doing wheelies?32-35
6. Who can do a mile long wheelie? Yes<Standup or sit down>Both
7. Do you wheelie your Busa or prefer a lighter scooter for such fun? Busa is pretty stable and most of the time people are freaked out when they see a big ass Busa doing a mile wheelie. Just stand up in second gear and whack the throttle at 5000 and pull up at the same time. Then just get to the balance point and use throttle control.

I LIVE IN INDPLS, INDIANA. AND IM WORKING ON A VIDEO WITH A COUPLE BUDDIES IN TOWN ONE I GREW UP WITH HIS NAME IS FUZZY. HE RIDES A 04 GSXR1000 PWR CMD. FULL YOSH. EXHAUST. WHOLE NINE YARDS HE RIDES STAND-UP WHEELIES ABOUT 120 FOR MILES AT A TIME STANDING UP AND SITTING DOWN BUNCH OF TIMES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WHEELIE. HOPEFULLY IF I CAN GET SOME OF THE TAPE FINISHED I CAN CLIP IT AND POST A CLIP ON HERE FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT. PRETTY GOOD FOOTAGE ON THE INTERSTATES HERE AND WITH ALL THE TRAFFIC (WELL THE TRAFFIC WE ARE USED TOO) ITS HARD TO RIDE 4-5 MILES AT A TIME ON A STAND-UP. BUT I THINK HE'S GOTTEN 3.5 MILES AT ANYWHERE FROM 65-130M.P.H. IN THE AIR.

motocrash.gif

Just a few questions for all you fun wheelie guys out there. Your response may help your fellow scooter friends improve?  How do you get up to the standup position?
1.  Do you stand up after you get the tire in the air and settled?
2.  Do you stand up first, then lift the tire?
3.  Do you stand up as you lift the tire all in one motion?
4.  Do you have a different way of getting to the stand up position?
5.  What tire pressure do you prefer when doing wheelies?
6.  Who can do a mile long wheelie? <Standup or sit down>
7.  Do you wheelie your Busa or prefer a lighter scooter for such fun?
my longest wheelie is 3.5 miles long the road stopped so did my wheelie I did it in 1988 on a customers GSXR1100 we did some work to
in 1983 I did a quarter mile wheelie at edgewater drgway Cleeves ohio on a demo GS1100 ED in 12.45 et 110.28 MPH
at that time it was a world record we found that out after I did this though But I had over ten thousand prople watching me
Doug ( the wheelie King Demokes } wouldn't race me on the quarter he wante me to wheelie around a motocross track I said that a quarter mile on the biggest thing Kaw makes and me on the suz. 1100 woutl tell the true tale of whose the wheelie King no wheelie bars no moter mounted to the front wheel to keep the front spinning the same speed as the rear
which is what he use to shoot a child of eight could wheelie that way. anyway the supposed wheelie king said no we sold Kawasali and Suzuki people high up in both wanted a race but doug said no.
BTW i tried to wheelie the kaw 900,1000,1100
and the1300 six and was never able to switch gears quick enough to keep any of them up past secound gear.

I've never posted as the wheelie King cause someone out there is better at wheelies then me but I've never met them
and as to wheelie my busa Yes I hust accomplished a quater mile wheelie on my bike we estimate high 11 sec i think speedo jumped 125-130 range but not sure on that I wasn't paing attention to the istrum ents if you know what i mean,and thats with my bettle bags and all !!!
I do only sit down wheelies these days but when i use to do stand up first left foot on seat stand up ro;; throttl lean back but watch out the bal poimt is exgerated when standing very easy ton slip off seat or plain flip it so many thins extra can go worg standing shoot sitting I can change lanes go around corners and the like , u have better leveage sitting

well ther yu go my two cents , been doing wheelis since 1972
I was twelve then , so when it comes to wheelies and motorcycling in general I know a little I'm forty five now riding more than ever

Lannie Settles

Nice post Lannie , I am sure you could teach us all a thing or two about wheeling our Busa's.
Also, do you still practice your wheelies on the customers bikes?

Got in a few stand up wheelies today. Was a little chilly but one of the few dry days we get around here in winter. It always feels a little strange at first when you haven't been practicing for a few days. But soon feels comfortable as if you are putting on an old familiar coat. I just love riding on the back wheel
biggrin.gif

Nice post Lannie , I am sure you could teach us all a thing or two about wheeling our Busa's.
Also, do you still practice your wheelies on the customers bikes?
no sir that was at a custumers request, i only showed people that said yo dude this bike
won't wheelie for #### man I paid 2500.0 and nothin' I said let me ride your bike you guys come up to cross county highway and i'll show ya what it'll do Any way Mr. Dickey now believes he's got the baddest M/c around he just can't ride
At this period I ran the service dept for the shop
and I #### you not people would stop by and have me a run somewhere with the best wheelie guy that ever saw
and beat them badly. I grew up doing wheelies #### dudw I was pullin' quarter mile wheelies on ts-50, 100's 185's 250's
tm-125 ,250 and the baddest big bore ever a 1973 tm-400 cyclone
in 1973 on a demo Z1B kaw (we sold Kaw too} i whipped a 12.12 stone stock now this wasn't a wheelie but my brother Gary had been turning 12.50's all night first run 12.12 I couln'nt touch both feet on the Ground
these stories I tell are tru call Mell Harris at American Suzuki ask him about Gentleman Jims and his sons out of Cincinnati he'll tell ya or Jerry monroe senior sevice tech
Mr. suzuki himself stood in our dealership twice
so you may choose not to believe me thats on you anyhow you can't make this stuff up cause I've backed my act up before and would do it again always up for a challange.

We may not sell m/c's anymore but we got out at agood time 1989 if you all would remember late eighties well lets say we sold more ATV the last five years of the 80's and in 86 or 87 they caved to the Consumer protection and put you can die on this well sales tanked, we closed Suzuki Of Cincinnati dealer # 0975 in oct. 1989 may it R I P I miss it so
but it saved a whole family we were in the high speed lane ready to crash and burn I know now looking back I'm lucky to be alive
some of you guys only ride ten year don't know what it's like to start a 1973 tm 400 or have the balls to ride it
or say a 1971 kaw H1750 triple two stroke
or a rotary suzuki 500 1974
or the first GSXR750 7986 I had one to ride
probably the most signicant M/c to date
or the gs -850G best of the ten best
1980's
or the t-500 TitaN twin suzukki didn't even have a fore cycle till 1977 Gs-750 this is where it catappulted Suzuki all a sudsen guys on Z1-B's where falling to a SUZUKI no more ring ding ding jokes Anyway there's people posting here about wheelies and wheeling a bike like the Hayabusa is a simple task try it on say a tm- 400 cyclone or a ts90
on a bile without no handling no lightweight
shoot footpegs didn't even fold we bent them griding in corners
the only motorcylce Suzuki made that a tried to wheelie a quater mile and fail on was the GV1400 Calvacade it only went 1/8 mile but I'll bet no body had done it before
i was so lucky the first motorcycle I ever had to pay for was myabusa so after all these years I'm back having a great time over 13,00 mile since 06-21-04

one last tidbit I flipped it 7 times in my first five years of doing wheelies
my last crash was 1975 Edgwater Raceway on the very first rm125 in the nation that night I had 10,000 people get what they came to see my ass gettin' ate up with the road rash sliding down that track 60% of my skin was gone I looked like a big pizza it'only hurt when I took a breath that was my last crash six months later I did complete
the quarter on the 125 but with full gear
so you kids out there that maybe bought a busa first bike a maybe you can't get it up let me tell you if your Dad don't own a suzuki shop this alone will slow your progess up, unless of course you don't get killed I've seen it several times. I'm forty five with more than thirty years experence riding bullcrap most of it now, for ten huggs u can buy the fastest accelerating stock motorcyle I ever rode I guess what I'm trying to convey is the bikes we own stop fast go fast and can handle the speeds coming up 70's the bikes couln't handle the speeds it kept everone honest the real fear of an H-1 coming out the gate sideways they had a mind of there own I remember those bikes they taught me respect for bikes never ride over your head if can't keep up stay at your pace the leaders will wait at the sign for you.

being alive and well is a lot the hayabusa could pound you in the ground so hard and that's just in first think what it would be like forth gear wfo how fast is a hayabusa in forth pretty much the same on one or two wheels say 145 mph on the modest side one slip u die
since i been seeing this board people have died
some of em just disappered trying to do as Biker boys
some can do things I never thought of .
all jumps and wheelies
that was my deal like evil
by far the craziest dude I've ever met
He told me don't do what I do kid you wind up breaking all your bones and I said if you would ride a suzuki you would't crash so much ,what can I say I was a kid

oh the memories
replacing parts is very expensive

and losing you life over doing something u seen before is really nuts be fore warned I do know what i speak of Trust me like u know me
but for me I can't quit so if I crash no more busa'.
see the chances we take everday plus we all want to do wheelies
Nobody ever listened to me then ,I expect none will now But if your fresh and don't know how to wheelie try an fa 50 suzki moped like bike yes it has done a quarter mile wheelie before of those u can master anything plus there only about 500 bucks a hollar and almost impossible to wheelie but it can be done teaches you the most important thing the good ole balance point once you madter that your on your way

end of rant

Lannie

sorry this post went long like this gosh thinking bout the old days I got into bench racing mode

Back