Stampede weather forecast............

CCbusa05

Donating Member
Registered
Weather wise it’s "so far, so good" guys and gals!! I'll update this thread as the weekend of the 24th grows closer; but for now, up to and including the 18th we're looking for low 90s and what's more important, zero precipitation in the area. Heaven only knows we need every drop of rain we can get this time of year, but it’d be nice to have it nice and dry for the Stampede! Fingers crossed and countin’ down kids!! :beerchug:

Long range update............Mon and Tues, 20th and 21st: 92 degrees and still calling for zero precip..
Last two evenings have been windy and hot, but the winds are usually relatively calm until 3:00PM or so this time of year and should not interefere with any ride plans.
Two friends of mine said CA just last week repaved route 49 of the Sierraville/Downieville loop ride. Perfect timing actually, any loose bits and pieces of pavement and other road construction debris should be all cleared off by Stampede time. :thumbsup:
Day before yesterday was the annual (bicycle) Death Ride, which covers over one hundred miles over Ebbetts and Monitor Passes. The passes in and around the Markleville area were closed to motorized traffic almost all day. That brings to mind a very important safety reminder that ALL you guys should commit to memory! Around almost every curve this time of year on most of the mountain rides we'll be making you'll see groups of bicyclists! It's especially unnerving for me because I'm running stock cans and I swear, sometimes I'll round a corner and someone on a bicycle will be in the middle of the lane, completely unaware of my presense. So be careful to stay as centered as possible in your lane on those blind right handers.

Last edited:
Friday........
Whew, gonna be 100 today and possibly 101 tomorrow here in Stampede land. Long range forecast is still calling for mid 90s and zero precip next week.
We have two fires going on that are not under control at this time. One is near Quincy and the second one is near Red Rock, both well north of Reno and at this time, not causing any smoke in the area. Authorities say they should be under control by the end of the weekend. All the planned ride routes are well south of these blazes anyway.

Clear and hot windy afternoons seem to be the norm of late. The winds are relatively light though and usually die down by 6:00PM or so and then start up again around 1:00PM the next day. Highs for Fri-Sat-Sun are forecast to be 97-98-98 degrees in Reno.
Rides will be leaving early and there is usually very little wind activity to even consider in the mountains this time of year.

Ebbetts pass :thumbsup:

sept-07-roadTrip 007b.jpg

sept-07-roadTrip 037b.jpg

99 in Reno, heck that will be a relief for those of us riding up from Vegas. It was 115 at my house yesterday. Sounds like good weather to me. Remember hydrate or die!!!!!

99 in Reno, heck that will be a relief for those of us riding up from Vegas. It was 115 at my house yesterday. Sounds like good weather to me. Remember hydrate or die!!!!!

Yeah, once you get north of Parumph you should leave that Vegas heat behind! I always find that if it's under 100 degrees and dry, highway speed makes it fine (it's just hot when you stop for gas with all your gear on!). Then when you start rolling again, all the sweat you built up feels cool.
OK, maybe that's oversharing. In any case, the mountains are waiting for you. Doyle

I think I Wanna be a Weather Man/Woman when I Grow Up. It's the only job where you can be a Complete Idiot and Never Get FIRED..

Latest Weather States Partly Cloudy and Rain for MONDAY. NOT Sunday

SEE YA ALL AT THE STAMPEDE :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nice!!! Starting my trip up in the morning...............I hope this day goes by fast!:whistle:

Nice!!! Starting my trip up in the morning...............I hope this day goes by fast!:whistle:

You know it!!! It can't go fast enough.... :beerchug:

'Tis a bummer that I can no longer bring the Hayabusa down to the Stampede, because I am now carrying my daughter with me (she will be working as Check-In staff), and that's means no 'Busa.... pretty sad that one of the event organizers can't even attend the Stampede on his 'Busa..... :banghead:

But I have no choice here, sadly enough... I'm going to have to take the big, hoggy touring bike, since it has a top-box big enough to carry all the crap a 19-year-old teenage girl carries...

tour_fjr.jpg

Dude! Are you telling Lamb that you can't bring your Hayabusa to the Hayabusa stampede? You were one of the organizers fool. Ship the stuff to the hotel and it will be waiting for you. Unbelievable.
You know it!!! It can't go fast enough.... :beerchug:

'Tis a bummer that I can no longer bring the Hayabusa down to the Stampede, because I am now carrying my daughter with me (she will be working as Check-In staff), and that's means no 'Busa.... pretty sad that one of the event organizers can't even attend the Stampede on his 'Busa..... :banghead:

But I have no choice here, sadly enough... I'm going to have to take the big, hoggy touring bike, since it has a top-box big enough to carry all the crap a 19-year-old teenage girl carries...

tour_fjr.jpg

Dude! Are you telling Lamb that you can't bring your Hayabusa to the Hayabusa stampede? You were one of the organizers fool. Ship the stuff to the hotel and it will be waiting for you. Unbelievable.

That's what I did........I'm just sayin'.:laugh:

Dan

Dude! Are you telling Lamb that you can't bring your Hayabusa to the Hayabusa stampede?

Warchild is sadden that Lamb is being told this. :laugh:

Too, it isn't an issue of carrying capacity; I have to carry the daughter on the big, hoggy touring bike because the Hayabusa is set up for solo work exclusively:

right_side.jpg

So while it is indeed a bummer I can't bring the K8, when the opportunity to have the daughter, home from college for the summer, to come along and make it a 2-up riding adventure, that superseded all other considerations. :beerchug:

She is driving over from her home on Whidbey Island (300 miles away) and should be here in the Tri-Cities by around midnight. We'll sleep till about 5AM, and hit the road. See youse guys at the Peppermill tomorrow evening!

Last edited:
OK, Temp will be toasty ... howz about next year we do the Oregon Coast ? ??? ;)

Back