Stainless, titanium, or carbon fiber cans?

semperfi

Registered
What is the preferred material for exhaust cans? Besides price is there any drawbacks to carbon fiber? I like the llook of CF, but will they stay looking good for many years?

I have the carbon fiber HMF highmounts besides sound and looks , They dont get hot even after 6 hrs of riding you can still touch them , I rode to pa about 3 1/2 hrs with soft luggage touching the cans , and no damage , even after an 800 mile round trip no melting of the luggage no damage to the cans , wipe them down with maguiers dash foam (uv protectant ) when I wash it carbon fiber is the way to go , :thumbsup:

I have the carbon fiber HMF highmounts besides sound and looks , They dont get hot even after 6 hrs of riding you can still touch them , I rode to pa about 3 1/2 hrs with soft luggage touching the cans , and no damage , even after an 800 mile round trip no melting of the luggage no damage to the cans , wipe them down with maguiers dash foam (uv protectant ) when I wash it carbon fiber is the way to go , :thumbsup:

+10000 on The HMF cf cans being A:cool-to-touch even after hours of riding (i'm ashamed to say-wife spent many a trip ridn in tha shortest of shorts n never got a burn:whistle:) B:Long-lasting good looks; I bought my bike with the HMFs already installd a year ago-I rode thru WI winter, another season/WI winter, then took off my bike and they STILL looked good:bowdown: a lil Simple green and Meguiars will keep'em shiney for a long time.

However-i made the swap to TiForce's system and I must say-shaving 30+lbs vs. the HMFs dual setup I had and gaining a HP or two was worth the extra coin for the exotic material (Im a metal nut-ex CNC machinist:moon:) but in all honesty?? the HMF dual CF himount exhaust sounded WAAAAY more badazz than the TiForce...at full throttle down low in the revs, bike w/HMFs sounds throaty almost V-twin-like but the TiForce is more a loud scream (think V-12 Ferarri @ 7,000rpms) that crescendos into a Banshee's wail (wailing "get tha f&*k outta my way!):laugh: gotta say the Ti pipe makes my bike absolutely HOWL at top speed *or so I was told by others*:whistle:

Stainless, but of course I'm cheap. I actually resold these on ebay for a little more than what I paid after using them for two years, go figure? Maybe it was because they came un-baffled or that they had the Hayabusa and Kanji embossed on the ends? I took good care of them. That's $483.95 total for the pair.

Picture 653.jpg

Picture 668.jpg

Picture 669.jpg

Picture 691.jpg

Picture 640.jpg

Picture 634.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to say CF but so many companies go the cheap route in their manufacturing which means I end up saying Titanium.

Love the look of CF but I have a CF Yoshimura Titanium 4-2-1 exhaust, and have noticed that the CF is starting to distort at the hotter end, over the winter I plan to have the CF replaced with Titanium.:beerchug:

Busa23.03.08.jpeg.jpg

+1000 CF after a several years is going to look a lil more worn than Ti-IMO the Ti pipes just keep getting more awesome-looking as they go thru more heat cycles and the metal blues-up n gets those lil gold/purple tones...mmmm, puuurrrrty:bowdown:

With CF you do need to be aware of the packing.. This is especially true if you ride the motor hard (sustained high RPM). If the packing burns out, the can will soon follow..

I have Titanium myself.. pretty trouble free

yup, been there done that. :whistle:
With CF you do need to be aware of the packing.. This is especially true if you ride the motor hard (sustained high RPM). If the packing burns out, the can will soon follow..

I have Titanium myself.. pretty trouble free

Carbon by far has the best eye appeal but don't fair well in a tip over. CF id fragile.

Titanium is light, stands up well in a tip over, looks nice and last forever without tarnishing like stainless. However, it is expensive.

Stainless looks cool when it's new but without constant care will tarnish over time. Stainless is the most economical.

I have CF 2bros on my Gen2 and Titanium 2bros on my Gen1. I can easily recommend them both. :beerchug:

Back