Stainless brake lines - best layout?

hayabuser

Registered
I've been eyeing up some stainless lines for my bike and am wondering which set-up would be the better choice: a) Stock "over the mudguard" arrangement of one line from the master cylinder to one caliper and a second line from the caliper to the other, or b) Full length dual lines incorporating two separate lines from the master cylinder to each caliper. The two kits are the same price from HEL so which is better?

I've had both.
The 2 ss lines, each from the mc to each caliper with my regular handlebars.
When I changed to Speigler topclamp and bars the kit came with ss lines, where one line goes to the right caliper, and one line goes from the right caliper to the left caliper.
I noticed absolutely no difference with either configuration.
I have ebc HH extreme pro pads too, and they provide a great improvement in stopping power.
My brake feel with the ss lines is great.
I bled both sets of lines throughly, and then let them sit for a couple hours with the brake lever compressed/bungee strapped tight against the handlebar. I then bled them again.
I also did not find one configuration any harder to bleed than the other.:beerchug:

Thanks for the insight. I was leaning towards the stock set-up for ease of installation and the cleaner look of just having one line running down the forks to the brakes, nice to hear that there isn't any appreciable difference in performance. :thumbsup:

My Galfer Stainless kit came with a setup to run a separate lines from the MC to each caliper. If they are bled properly I don't see where either setup is better than the other. I will say that having one to each side from the mc is a cleaner looking install.

Back