Stage 1,2 or 3

I put the 11.0:1 pistons in because I did not feel like changing the fuel injectors out. Currently, the fuel injectors are at 98% duty cycle when I go to 10lbs of boost and sometimes if I miss a shift the FI light will come on.

I ET race the bike and am not particularly intersted in going "insane speed". The 11.0:1 pistons work fine on the drag strip and the street. The Stage 1 turbos from most manufacturers are designed to bolt on to a stock engine with no modifications. The first season I ran it this way until a friend told me that the only weak point with a stock Busa and a turbo was the stock pistons, they are typically only good to about 250 hp.

If I would have gone to lower compression pistons and put a spacer in I could run higher boost but then I would need a stage 2 kit with the extra fuel rail. Frankly, I was just not interested in it.

As it is, in Valdosta I ran a 9.29 in the 1/4 letting off the throttle at the 1000 ft mark and still broke out of my 9.3 dial in. Quite honestly since I change the filter out I have not been able to make a full pass.

Right now as I write this I have the engine apart doing my yearly maintenance on it before the next season, bearing changes, general inspection, etc. I ran the whole race season on AMSOIL and only made one oil change just before the end of the season. I am writing an article about it now. It will be on Dragbike.com in about a month or so when I get the bike back together and dyno tuned again. (I do that every year just to make sure the map is still good. You would be amazed how just changing out rings and bearings along with general tuning affects your map.)
the weakest point on a gen 1 busa are the rods
the next after that are the pistons
the rods on a turbo application can go over 300 with a spacer and some go to 350 but not for extreme amounts of time
the pistons can go upwards of 450 HP and there are quite a few out there with this amount on stock pistons and a spacer (with aftermarket rods that is)

i'd think an aftermarket pump with bigger injectors and ecu editor would do alright. what's the most anyone's made on that setup? i just think a second fuel system seems really complicated for something as simple as a little hairdryer. but again, that's car turbo thinking, maybe bikes are different yet again.

i'd think an aftermarket pump with bigger injectors and ecu editor would do alright. what's the most anyone's made on that setup? i just think a second fuel system seems really complicated for something as simple as a little hairdryer. but again, that's car turbo thinking, maybe bikes are different yet again.

They don't have boost compinsated fueling that's why the secondaries are a good option
so you can control the boost with a boost controller and the fueling doesn't change eratically

i wonder what happened to these bikes from 10 yrs ago? how much we learn in a decade......……...….

Back