Squids

ThunderJohn

Registered
So I was checking out some bikes on Instagram and every post of anyone on a bike that was not wearing full gear was to toe they post squid. So if your not in full leathers or a riding jacket them your a squid?

If i had to put all that crap on every time i wanted to ride i wouldn't even own a motorcycle(since 1970 i've never worn more than a leather jacket,and only that every now and then).If i were into track riding or pretending to be Rossi on the weekends racing through all these SoCal canyons(like most of these young knuckleheads do out here)i'd be covered head to toe 'cause way sooner than later they're goin' down,but for a highway cruise every now and then i don't care to look like a Power Ranger and just wear what makes me comfortable...and screw anyone who doesn't like it.:beerchug:

If i had to put all that crap on every time i wanted to ride i wouldn't even own a motorcycle(since 1970 i've never worn more than a leather jacket,and only that every now and then).If i were into track riding or pretending to be Rossi on the weekends racing through all these SoCal canyons(like most of these young knuckleheads do out here)i'd be covered head to toe 'cause way sooner than later they're goin' down,but for a highway cruise every now and then i don't care to look like a Power Ranger and just wear what makes me comfortable...and screw anyone who doesn't like it.:beerchug:

+1 especially with these 100 plus days...

On I didn't think of myself as a squid i wear a jacket when it is cold but when it's really hot I will wear shorts and a T-shirt

Wearing good riding gear in the cooler temperatures makes riding more comfortable imho. Good gear gives me a little peace of mind when I am leaned over in a turn. Just saw a fresh highside on Polamar and the guy had full leathers on. He was hurting from the body slam on pavement but didn't have a scratch anywhere.

BTW... you might look pretty snazzy in a Power Ranger suit !

Wearing good riding gear in the cooler temperatures makes riding more comfortable imho. Good gear gives me a little peace of mind when I am leaned over in a turn. Just saw a fresh highside on Polamar and the guy had full leathers on. He was hurting from the body slam on pavement but didn't have a scratch anywhere.

BTW... you might look pretty snazzy in a Power Ranger suit !

What's up older dude?:laugh:

That's pretty much the point i was aiming at Ted,the leaned over in the corners and the Palomar thing,if i made a habit of it i'd probably gear up but as you know that ain't really my thing.:laugh:It's so damned hot out here i'm pretty much done(other than an early morning short jaunt)'til Oct. when it starts coolin' down,though i'll catch up with you geezers every now and then.

(for those of you who don't know Ted/ZRXMAX,he's a really good dude and can ride the chit out of/rail those corners on his Gen I...and he's older than me:laugh: :thumbsup:)

...and you ain't gettin' me in one of those PR outfits:moon:)

See... age has nothing to do with lean angle. In fact, the older you get the easier it is to lean ! :laugh:

I'd wear a Toga if i had one. I dress to my mood. I use a full helmet or a brain bucket sometimes or none at all. sometimes I wear boots or sneakers. I've had no shoes. I have all kinds of gloves but use my gel fingerless the most. Sometime I wear a harley t-shirt on the busa and a busa shirt on my chopper. I don't care what people think... unless its a hot chick :laugh:

I prefer to wear the power ranger suit (either leather or textile) because: :laugh:

1. You don't have to be leaning in a corner to go down... some fool in a cage can swerve into your lane and take you out at highway speeds

2. If you go fast enough, you can stay cool in leathers even on a hot day

3. I like my skin (see item #1)

4. flying insects and rocks can hurt you when you're just wearing a t-shirt

5. I like my skin (see item # 3)

6. little kids think I look cool (guess they like Power Rangers)

7. Did I mention - I like my skin (see item #5)

Here I am just before my ride the other day

image.jpg

I've been run over twice in 43 years and suffered very little road rash(in a T-shirt the first time and a sleeveless sweatshirt the second,more than likely do to the tumbling effect rather than sliding)and by no means advocate not wearing gear if a rider feels more comfortable in it.For the most part i'm fine in a helmet,jacket and jeans(and pretty miserable in a leather jacket once the temp. passes 85-90 degrees so try not to get caught out in that heat if at all possible)and dress for the ride/not the slide.In both of my crashes,what little rash i got was healed up by the time i came out of the comas.:whistle:

I dont understand how anyone can even enjoy riding a bike with all that gear on especially on hot summer days.....After all isn't a motorcycle all about enjoyment, why even buy a motorcycle if you can't enjoy riding it...I have been riding for 32 years and the most gear i have ever had on was leather jacket and jeans when temps were in 60's, all the other times i ride around in tank top and jeans..
I ride to enjoy..

I try to stick to boots, jeans,,jacket, and full face helmet. I ride almost every day the weather allows. I'll ride.to meet up with friends, go to movies, get dinner, run errands ect... Wearing a full race suit just doesn't work on a day to day basis.

I don't consider myself a squid at all.

I try to stick to boots, jeans,,jacket, and full face helmet. I ride almost every day the weather allows. I'll ride.to meet up with friends, go to movies, get dinner, run errands ect... Wearing a full race suit just doesn't work on a day to day basis.

I don't consider myself a squid at all.

+ 1

Add a good set of mesh/light riding gloves in hot weather and that's my kit.

In Albuquerque, temps can hit over a hundred on the freeway and I just avoid riding when it's that hot but not always.

I'd wear leathers on a track but not on the street. At 6'4" and 250 lbs it's very expensive to have one made.

I rode my bike in the Summer with shorts on once and the heat from the engine made my right leg feel like it was being burned. Jeans at least protect from that burn.

I will never, never, never ride without a full face helmet though.

Wrecked at 25 mph on an enduro and had a 2 inch long 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep gash in the back of my Bell Star helmet along with a brocken leg and that convinced me forever.

I also don't understand why people can stand getting hit in the face and neck with bugs, sand and rocks. Wind sucks also.

Back