Squid Maximum

I like his riding suit, it looks like he is only wearing boxer shorts and loafers. Very cool gear indeed
smile.gif

What an idiot...and the person taking the video sounds like they almost had a heart attack busting up over this dude.....

Ok, I've seen references to "squids" several times and I think I know basically what it means, but... since I'm new to the street scene, can someone give me the general definition of a squid?
rock.gif

Ok, I've seen references to "squids" several times and I think I know basically what it means, but... since I'm new to the street scene, can someone give me the general definition of a squid?
rock.gif
[*]YOU!
jump9.gif

Just playing...here's what I THINK I know about squids, and doing squiddley things...

Squid...Well my understanding is that a squid is someone who is in over their head or someone who is just a classic D*pSh*t...

[*]Squids, May or may not have riding skills, sometimes an excellent rider is a squid when they ride a wheelie on a crowded downtown street.
[*]Falling over at a stoplight or rear ending a minivan while wearing freaking loafers...BAM, your a squid...
[*]You remember the High School bully? The guy allways putting others down talking tough, then cries when you WHANG him upside the head with your locker door? Squid...
[*]Squid, this would be the guy on a full custom Busa with Nitrous that puts his little feeties down when making slow parking lot manuevers.
[*]Squid, anyone who goes tear assing down the road with a hottie on the back wearing a bikini, (Excluding cruises, events etc...) But tear assing should still be avoided...
[*]Squid, what I was the other day at work nearly falling over while parking cause I got distracted and lunched on the front brake while at full lock...
[*]Squid, 1/4 poseur, 1/4 wanna be stunter, 1/4 rebel without a clue, 1/4 hapless bastard that doesn't have friends around to slap him in the head often enough...
[*]Squid, What just about everyone not on a Busa thinks everyone who is on a busa...is.
Finally cause I am pretty sure I could go on forever and that would be squiddley also, we are all squids once in awhile, the key is to not make a habit of it...

obviously you must be new.
Squid: a) a life form found in the ocean
b) idiots you find on the road wearing little or no protective gear...the sound they make hitting the pavement sounds like you would imagine a squid hitting the floor.
c) people having no idea what they're doing and you are more than likely to find them bloody on the side of the road.

According to 'The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles' a squid is someone who rides on the roads like it is a racetrack.

Its not a term that is suppose to be used for persons riding skill or abilites, its the style of riding.

According to 'The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles' a squid is someone who rides on the roads like it is a racetrack.

Its not a term that is suppose to be used for persons riding skill or abilites, its the style of riding.
See now Odyssey has helped here by showing us what a squid sounds like on a web-board, very helpful....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
kiss.gif
I am just playing...

According to Acronym finder:

SQUID: Super Quick Until I Die...

Though I would counter your post by saying that a riders "Style" is directly governed by their Skill and abilities, that they are not independant of one another...
rock.gif

laugh.gif

See now Odyssey has helped here by showing us what a squid sounds like on a web-board, very helpful....
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

kiss.gif
  I am just playing...

Though I would counter your post by saying that a riders "Style" is directly governed by their Skill and abilities, that they are not independant of one another...
rock.gif
Lets all face a simple truth, we are all squids, with an average cruising speed of 110mph (just an average of most i have talked to) and the ability to break every speedlimit in every country but germany within 5 seconds after a complete stop.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

kiss.gif
  I am just playing...

rock.gif
Lets all face a simple truth, we are all squids, with an average cruising speed of 110mph (just an average of most i have talked to) and the ability to break every speedlimit in every country but germany within 5 seconds after a complete stop.
Yeah Bro, If we apply your definition of Squid then I agree...

I still wonder just how Suzuki managed to get this and other liter class sport oriented bikes on the road with a straight face, especially the Busa.

Talking to a few of my Non-Busa riding brothers, one of them is my younger brother and their really is a serious Squids=Suzuki mindset out there. But this is with my understanding of squid meaning d*pshit. Frustrating but I do chalk a lot of it up to Busa Envy or fear. Folks hate what they fear. I hear it quite a bit when a large bunch of bikes gets together. Murmers of derision, "well it's fast but...", and "the things just don't handle", Yadda yadda...

Maybe we should all get together and go get Squid tats...

laugh.gif

LOL, all this time I thought you West Coasters were talking about "Squids" being sailors on bikes. See what 17 years (active/reserves) in the military can do to you.

Now according to Oddessy - I AM A SQUID!!!

I am guilty of racing on the street. Not busy ones, but ones that are challenging and mostly empty. Except that freeway coming home from Laguna Seca. Avg = 110 MPH in the mountains. YES! Sure gave some cagers something to talk about!

Sorry, everyone, I had to get that out of my system. I AM A SQUID AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!

This bike is soooooo smooth at speed that it doesn't feel like speeding.

I did a little research on 'squid' a few years back. The closest origin/definition I found that seemed real enough was a reference to some old guy's article that described a sportbike rider as a cross tween a Squirrel and a "kid", thus Squid. He was apparently very young looking, and imature riding, pulling fast round a corner, stopping hard, darting head movements whilst looking for traffic, and darting off on his bike, like a paranoid squirrel. Anyway, that's what I remember about it. Could be folklore too for all I really know. Got that from DejaNews [google groups]

I did a little research on 'squid' a few years back.  The closest origin/definition I found that seemed real enough was a reference to some old guy's article that described a sportbike rider as a cross tween a Squirrel and a "kid", thus Squid.  He was apparently very young looking, and imature riding, pulling fast round a corner, stopping hard, darting head movements whilst looking for traffic, and darting off on his bike,  like a paranoid squirrel.  Anyway, that's what I remember about it.  Could be folklore too for all I really know.  Got that from DejaNews [google groups]
WWJD, you are correct. =) It all started with a group of "Harley" riders that started calling kids on "crotch rockets/Sportbikes" Squids from combining squirrel and kids just like WWJD said.  But if a hardcore harley rider knows what the busa is, then I doubt that we are in that Squid group.  I actually seen it on either the discovery Channel or History Channel on TV, but not sure which one.

it's not what HE was thinking, it was what the guy beside him was thinking - just don't fall on me you SQUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great vid, great laugh.

I would imagine the camera dude thought he would video the squid riding with tennis shorts and loafers just for laughs....and then just about dropped the camera when he pulled the squid move. I hope that server stays up with that mpeg bcause I have a lot of people to email that to!

rock.gif
[*]YOU!  
jump9.gif

Just playing...here's what I THINK I know about squids, and doing squiddley things...

Squid...Well my understanding is that a squid is someone who is in over their head or someone who is just a classic D*pSh*t...

[*]Squids, May or may not have riding skills, sometimes an excellent rider is a squid when they ride a wheelie on a crowded downtown street.
[*]Falling over at a stoplight or rear ending a minivan while wearing freaking loafers...BAM, your a squid...
[*]You remember the High School bully?  The guy allways putting others down talking tough, then cries when you WHANG him upside the head with your locker door?  Squid...
[*]Squid, this would be the guy on a full custom Busa with Nitrous that puts his little feeties down when making slow parking lot manuevers.
[*]Squid, anyone who goes tear assing down the road with a hottie on the back wearing a bikini, (Excluding cruises, events etc...) But tear assing should still be avoided...
[*]Squid, what I was the other day at work nearly falling over while parking cause I got distracted and lunched on the front brake while at full lock...
[*]Squid, 1/4 poseur, 1/4 wanna be stunter, 1/4 rebel without a clue, 1/4 hapless bastard that doesn't have friends around to slap him in the head often enough...
[*]Squid, What just about everyone not on a Busa thinks everyone who is on a busa...is.
  Finally cause I am pretty sure I could go on forever and that would be squiddley also, we are all squids once in awhile, the key is to not make a habit of it...
Ok, regardless if the term's origin and intended meaning, I think Revlis' definitions fit closer with how the term is used on the forums. Bascially, I had a "squid" figured to be a silly poser that done stupid things on a bike without knowing he looked stupid, probably thinking he looked really cool (until he hit the van/hit the ground/etc....). We had the same folks running 5.0 Stangs back in the day. They'd start into a great tire melting burnout only to start fish tailin' and end up in the ditch cause they didn't know how to countersteer, or ultimately LET THE F&*# OFF!!! And that's just one of the brilliant moves that they were famous for...

So, for all intents and purposes I am now pretty much clear on what to look for in spotting a squid. Thanks for the edumacation.  
biggrin.gif

...Frustrating but I do chalk a lot of it up to Busa Envy or fear.  Folks hate what they fear.  I hear it quite a bit when a large bunch of bikes gets together.  Murmers of derision, "well it's fast but...", and "the things just don't handle", Yadda yadda...
All the younger sport bikers I know (who started with 600- and 750-class race replicas) mumble about Hayabusa handling in real life, but I know better. I come from the sport-touring side of things where good riders on 650+lb BMWs, VFRs, ST's, and Sprints can humiliate average guys on liter-sized sport bikes in canyons and on forest roads alike.

My last bike was a 600+lb, 130hp BMW. It had 3" more wheelbase, similar rake and trail, more ground clearance, 130lb more wet weight, and less useable range than the Hayabusa. In three thousand miles the only condition I haven't ridden the 'Busa in is a good snow shower, and although I miss the BMW suspension's ability to absorb crappy roads, the 'Busa handles extremely well.

It also just happens to be really comfortable, which is a nice touch.

Back