Sputtering problems...

Krudd93

Registered
Had my 02 for a couple years.. when I got it had the tre on it so I never took it off. Soooo one I took it off just to see what would happen after reading up on tre's an what would happen.... I couldn't get out first so I put it back on an it ran fine... now I have a flashed ecu an was told to take off the tre.... well 1st an 2nd sputters now... I can ride it an it's not all the time but I don't want anytime just want a clean ride is all... my ask is it ok to put the tre back an will that effect anything????

Strange, if they flashed it they should have tested it without the TRE.. or did you send them the PCU without bringing the busa along?

What do you mean by “sputters”??
I’ve never heard of the word….
Had to look it up as I found it hard to explain myself..

Sputter;
verb
gerund or present participle: sputtering

1. make a series of soft explosive sounds, typically when being heated or as a symptom of a fault.
"the engine sputtered and stopped"

PHYSICS
deposit (metal) on a surface by using fast ions to eject particles of it from a target

Had to look it up as I found it hard to explain myself..

Sputter;
verb
gerund or present participle: sputtering...
deposit (metal) on a surface by using fast ions to eject particles of it from a target
Aaaaaahh, of course, how silly of me to not know that it means that!
....Explains everything lol.
So it means 'misfire',
but what does 'gerund' mean??
200.gif

Had my 02 for a couple years.. when I got it had the tre on it so I never took it off. Soooo one I took it off just to see what would happen after reading up on tre's an what would happen.... I couldn't get out first so I put it back on an it ran fine... now I have a flashed ecu an was told to take off the tre.... well 1st an 2nd sputters now... I can ride it an it's not all the time but I don't want anytime just want a clean ride is all... my ask is it ok to put the tre back an will that effect anything????
I have no clue why it 'sputters' in first and second with the TRE removed . . but, if you refit it to the bike it will not have any negative effect on the engine at all.

All the TRE is doing is making the ECU recognize only 5th gear all the time, and in doing so 1st and 2nd gears have FULL ignition timing advance instead of retarded ignition timing as the ECU timing map is set from the factory to eliminate wheelies and wheelspin, basically just softens up the power in the first 2 gears (especially done to protect blowhards that are amateurs in the riding skills department) lmao!
the 1999 and 2000 year models of the Busa have "a man's timing map" installed from the factory and consequently have no need to have a TRE (Timing RETARD Eliminator) fitted.
Hope this helps,
Kiwi :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What do you mean by “sputters”??
I’ve never heard of the word….
It's bogging down... what's up Kiwi...finally got it rolling an I just changed everything all over again an she started right no problem...but now this after the flash....

Back