Sputtering Once Heated Up (Resets on Shutdown)

I'm supposed to be getting one emailed to me at any time. Thanks for the suggestion! I have 'a Suzuki manual' but it's not complete and it's actually for a different Gen2 model. The one that's coming is the exact right one. Hopefully it'll help.
Gen 2 is a gen 2 manual. Only change is a blue section for ABS equipped models 2013 to present.

(...)
I've got a 2009 that starts GREAT and runs GREAT. Then, after about 20 minutes worth of riding (highway or city makes no difference) the problem starts.
(...)

again
no real help, sorry
but an other kind of idea what is partly going on

spark plugs connectors and the here integrated ignition coils.

eventual one of the plug connectors has a windings prob caused by the temp the connector gets.
it "grows" by that and if the winding is "broken".
the temp. increasing opens a gap in the windings and the function is off - the plug never more gets the voltage for firing.
motor "runs" bad - like(?) at 3 cylinders only - you may call this behavior stuttering.

easy way to test - replace ig. coils vs. some used and fine working 4 (four) of a friend´s busa

again
no real help, sorry
but an other kind of idea what is partly going on

spark plugs connectors and the here integrated ignition coils.

eventual one of the plug connectors has a windings prob caused by the temp the connector gets.
it "grows" by that and if the winding is "broken".
the temp. increasing opens a gap in the windings and the function is off - the plug never more gets the voltage for firing.
motor "runs" bad - like(?) at 3 cylinders only - you may call this behavior stuttering.

easy way to test - replace ig. coils vs. some used and fine working 4 (four) of a friend´s busa

That makes perfect sense, but in my case, it's sputtering so bad that I roll hard on the throttle and I get zero cylinders firing until I roll off. That's why this is smelling like a fuel problem to me rather than spark.

I wish I had a 'busa-friend to swap parts with, but there are maybe three of these things in my whole country. :-D Extremely slim pickin's... I have to import everything right down to my wrenches and screwdrivers.

Speaking of which, fuel pump and regulator should be here in about another week.

Problem = solved!

It turns out the ground wire on the IAT sensor was intermittently open. Testing it cold showed .3ohms. Testing it burning how was in the Mohm range!! Rather than trying to figure out what happened to the wire between the sensor and the ECU, I just replaced the ground wire and ran it straight to a grounding screw on the inside of the frame about a foot away from the sensor itself.

And just like that - my bike's running like a dream!

Thanks to everybody who contributed. I really appreciate it!

Problem = solved!

It turns out the ground wire on the IAT sensor was intermittently open. Testing it cold showed .3ohms. Testing it burning how was in the Mohm range!! Rather than trying to figure out what happened to the wire between the sensor and the ECU, I just replaced the ground wire and ran it straight to a grounding screw on the inside of the frame about a foot away from the sensor itself.

And just like that - my bike's running like a dream!

Thanks to everybody who contributed. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate you reporting back to us what resolved your issue.

To do less... would be uncivilized!

yes so right! :thumbsup:
and big thanks

really strange
that the iat´s ground contact was gone when the busa got warm.
the iat (art.-no. should be 13650-14G10) is not expensive ~35-40 € - i would exchange it - with the original ground cable then,
to try if the wire itself is broken or the iat got a defect.

yes so right! :thumbsup:
and big thanks

really strange
that the iat´s ground contact was gone when the busa got warm.
the iat (art.-no. should be 13650-14G10) is not expensive ~35-40 € - i would exchange it - with the original ground cable then,
to try if the wire itself is broken or the iat got a defect.

I'm not in the way of replacing perfectly good, solid working components! And paying $50 for a ground wire that's not even as good as my own - noooooo, not today. :-D

Back