sputter issue

easportz

Registered
I have noticed that the idol is not maintaining a regular tach and at when cruising there have been sporadic surges in power (very noticeable cruising at 3-4.5k rpm).. I am curious if this is an issue with Ethanol fuel or just that I may need to re-map the PCIII... anyone have thoughts?
Related question: would the Ethanol cause any deterioration in the fuel lines like it has in outboard boat fuel lines?

some say the ethanol can cause deteriation...you said you have a pc3...what map are you running...did you have the bike custom mapped on ethanol or did you use premium when they mapped it?

I haven't had it mapped in about 4-5yrs (premium fuel). put on a k&n since then. might be due, I have put 40k miles on since then and its running rich. I think some things placed in the trunk may have hit the +/- buttons on the pc3 unit... My main concern is that I don't have to replace all the fuel lines....
incidentally the K&N was put on a few years ago and no issue after that this is a recent issue (last 1.5months)

I have adjusted my pc3 with buttons before. All three buttons have to be pressed then key on then you can adjust. And it goes off after about 15 sec not being pressed. It's possible something pressed on it and changed but I doubt it. Like viper said you might want to tune on ethanol.

The Gen I manual actually states no alcohol. Kind of hard to avoid today. Your bikes 8 years old and has 43K miles on it. All maintenance items up to date ? Air filter fresh, plugs fresh, valve clearance inspected ?

Absolutely make sure that all the sensors and vacuum lines are attached, also make sure the idle and fast idle are set properly.

Who knows you could have got a crap tank of fuel. Of course if that was the case you should have noticed this starting right after your last fuel stop.

I had a vacuum leak that made my bike run like crap. Ran better with the vac leak fixed then i cleaned the injectors and it ran much better

Fixed my sputter today, the return line was bent at the tank and collapsed not allowing enough fuel to return.
Cut the line a bit, adjusted and I heard a "pop" in the pump and running smooth now.

Back