Spudguns

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
I'm having some consistency issues with my "spudzooka". I think it is the old BBQ igniter I am using. Just ordered a battery powered igniter from Brinkmann. Kinda hoping that it helps...

If you haven't tried a spudgun...it is a total kick in the butt!
(and easy to make!)

rock.gif

if you haven't already..

wrap the pipe with duct tape..

especially if you've had it awhile.. and doubly especially if it's made from PVC pipe.

other than that... all I gotta say is

FWOOOOOP!

"Lookatdat spud go!"

Yea, it is a couple of yrs old, but I keep it inside my shop...doesnt get left out in the sunlight. If I use it in cold weather, I warm it up first...but the duct tape idea is a good one. The chamber is already wrapped with it.
Think I'm gonna build a new one for this new igniter tho.. Also going to order a rifled barrel. I can get one for a whopping 11 bucks. Supposed to make that potato fly even further!
Horses don't seem to like the boom tho:p

Got arrested for one when I was a kid. Something about inside of city limits and shattering glass...

We had them in tampa growing up, got stopped by a few cops wanting to check it out, latest version runs on butane and will lob a potato sized object a measured quarter mile reliably.

wow! a quarter mile! Thats some serious spuddin action! Mine on a good day only lobs one about 600 feet.

What fuel are you using? I seem to have best results with Aquanet hairspray. I'll have to check out the brinkman igniter.

You can also increase velocity by shooting them out of a moving vehicle.... Ummmmmm until you get caught

we used anything flammable and a tad bit of pure O2 from the welder...

i used to use aquanet as well , but it would make the inside of the chamber and the igniter so sticky and nasty that the igniter would gum up and not work. I put a threaded nipple on mine and a custom fitting for a propane tank - you can use the small ones for camping or hook the hose from the big tanks up. - It works better - 1. because the gas is much cleaner - and 2. pressurized tank means pressurized cylinder = more boom !

BTW - also got arrested for one years back.

Word of advice: DO NOT use starting fluid- unless your gun os made of iron pipe and not pvc !!

How big are most of yalls - mine measures about 7 feet from tip of barrell to back of chamber.

i always used wd40.used to cut the bottoms off plasitc bottles and shove wooden stakes through them for big darts.you lose a lot of distance and acurracy with em.tomatoes are pretty funny though!

When i was in the 10th grade ohhh about 10 or 11 years ago we were shooting one in my friends backyard...he lived up on the hill in north Burbank, CA. Long story short, one of us *NOT ME* hit a gardner at about 500 yards (IN THE FACE)! Cops came, guy that shot it got arrested for discharging a "firearm" in city limits, spud gun impounded =( and the rest of us got a stern talking to. In my (not so smarts friend's) defense, he never thought he was gonna be able to hit this guy and he felt really bad that he did hit him in the face. On the good side there was no serious injuries to the gardner and he was an illeagal alien so he didnt press charges.....he got the spud gun taken away and the discharging firearms charge. SOOOOOOO lesson issssss, watch what u shoot at cause u just might hit it!
wink.gif

What fuel are you using?  I seem to have best results with Aquanet hairspray.   I'll have to check out the brinkman igniter.
Right now, I am using QE electrical cleaner, from NAPA. It is a contact cleaner. I have tried almost everything else....Starting fluid, Root air freshiner,(the best), WD 40, Honda spray cleaner/polish....lots of other stuff. I have never tried hairspray, heard it was very messy.

Can't wait untill my new battery powered igniter gets here...gona build a new one.

1+ on the coleman igniter. Just a twist and qwerthump.

Never brave enough to try anything cept hairspray and wd40. Propane sounds scary as hell.

Chris

Back