SprotVue mod

very cool
cool.gif
I just got mine today. Curious if your HUD screen has a small, almost scratch in it....mine did.

Thanks for the great write up, I'll try to get some pics as well while I'm in doing mine. Did you find out what kind of wire/connection will be needed to hook the up coming radar detector module to the X50 or valentine? I'd just assume run all the necessary wires while I'm in there if you know what I mean.

Also, that sure looks like an arai helmet
wow.gif
thought they advised against using them .... probably has to do with the trimming you did.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Zuk, the HUD doesn't have any scratches in or on it. The HUD is very firm on the visor, and it's very stable. Don't forget to adjust the veiwing angle on the HUD (the tiny screw in the bottom) so you can see it at about the eyebrow level.
beerchug.gif

think I will be asking for an exchange on mine...there is a definate scratch or imperfection on the HUD piece where it projects.
sad.gif

I'll let you know how it goes
cool.gif

director.gif
To ALL who have ordered/recieved the MC1. The white wire is NOT the best option for the RPM gauge. I'm working with Motion Research now to get a more reliable wiring option. I will post a new pic and wiring discpription after I get home and investigate it more.
beerchug.gif

I had to reset the RPM and Gear learning information, but now it works really well. It tells me what gear I'm in with about 90-95% accuracy. More to come...
beerchug.gif

Nice work TruWrecks ... think I'm going to send them my unit back to replace the scratched lens. I powerd it up and just held it about where it would be mounted and I could notice the imperfection in the surface.

Have you taken it for a test ride yet? You mention that the gear indicator is 90-95%, how is the speed and RPM indicators? Its dang cold here so even if I mount it up, I'll either freeze or have to wait to test mine, so I have to live vicariously through you on this one
wink.gif

Zuk,

I rode today with mine. A bit chilly, but not too bad. I think we had a warming trend. The RPM and Speed indicator are working well. They appear to be pretty accurate. The RPM indicator is a "learning" bar graph that will set the rate of rise according to the highest RPM that you have revved your engine to. I ran mine up to 10,500 RPMs last night to setup the bar graph. The speed reading is within 2% accuracy (according to stationary radar, but I didn't get a ticket
biggrin.gif
). I didn't look at the dash much today, or yesterday, except to check my fuel level and trip odometer.

Today I stopped by their office to show them the install. They gave me kudos for the install. I mentioned to Dave (the support guru) that I broke the wheel magnet when I installed it in the recommended location. He gave me a new (and smaller) magnet, and helped me install it in their office/shop.

Dave also changed the visor mount on my Arai helmet. The new visor mount allows me to position the HUD higher above my eye, so it doesn't interfere as much with my view in a tuck position, and still be able to read it. I still need to do some tuning on the HUD angle so I can read it with my visor opened slightly for ventilation.

I'm sure they'll take care of you HUD screen. They have given me the best customer support that I've experienced from a "start-up" company. I will continue to help them deliver the best product of this type (as much as they'll let me) to my fellow riders.

Please keep my posted on your experience, and I'll let you live vicariously through me until you have a chance to get out and ride.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

It's cold and rainy today, so it's a good day to do a review.
wink.gif

I have now been using the SportVue for a about a week on the street.

And the verdict is...It's a keeper!
race.gif

<span style='color:red'>Note: Make sure you measure the outside circumference (the distance all the way around the middle) of your rear tire. That will make the MC1 accurate to about /- 1% of you actual speed. Use enough epoxy to coat the entire bottom of the magnet, and allow it to dry for about 20 minutes before you ride. The best place I found to mount the magnet is right on the "M" on the "Min Thickness" stamp on the side of the rotor. It gives the epoxy something to hold on to!</span>

I had a few concerns about the position of the HUD, until I got the proper visor mount installed for my Arai helmet. That tilted the HUD back enough to allow me to mount it higher on my visor so I had view in a tuck. I am now able to see the HUD well with the visor open slightly for venting (a must do when it's cold and wet).

I've used it in the rain, dry, day, night, and sunny. The HUD is easy to read while riding. I have noticed that I look at my dash less. I only look at my fuel, temp and trip meter (which I don't do very often). The HUD allows me to keep a check on my speed and RPMs while scanning the road ahead (a must
in rush hour traffic).

It's probably saved me from a "performance award" or two. I was be-bopping along at 72mph when I noticed a Washington State trooper in the freeway median. I dropped the speed down to 65 (according to the MC1) and kept my eyes on the road.

It's also been great in rush hour traffic. Traffic was buzzing along at 65 on I-5 when my X50 started beeping and brake lights started appearing ahead of me. Some joker in front of me hit the brakes and dropped to 50 mph (he wasn't even close to the car in front of him. Don't you love "Panic Brakers"?). I could see me speed while I was braking to avoid getting intimate with the back of that car.

The HUD has been rained on 2 or 3 times this week. I mean real NW rain, not the feeble attempts at raining I've seen other places
wink.gif
. I haven't had any issues from the unit getting very wet.

I've tested the MC1 at 110 mph as indicated by it (on a lonely stretch of road to remain un-named). I've cranked it up to 170 mph (with the rear wheel secured to a stand and the front wheel chocked) while I was doing the "Gear Learning" function. The magnet is still there.

beerchug.gif

wink.gif

Update:

I found a danger in using the HUD.  No, not blocked vision (when it's setup correctly).  Not a distraction from the road.   I almost ran out of gas!!!!  I forgot to check my fuel gage for after a few days of commuting, and when I looked down I had a bright orange light staring at me, and the needle was at the bottom of the red!  I don't know how long it was on, but I made it to the pump to get her filled up again. It took 5 gal to top her off.

No other complaints to log.

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107544159 -->

Hey Truwrecks, so whats the verdict on which wire to use for the RPM sensor? Ive got this thing all torn down and ready to install... just need to know what to tap into
wink.gif

Ok, I have a MC2 going on a 05 Busa, and sportvue says to tap into the white wire, but Im reading on this thread to use the green wire
rock.gif
Which wire should I tap into, and if it is the green wire, why does sportvue suggest the white wire? Both white and green leading to the same sensor....so....help?

Tap into the (GREEN) wire, I installed mine (MC2) over the Holidays and I LOVE IT I just got to remember to check the gas guage..:p

<!--EDIT|321CYA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137644215 -->

Got it - thanks all for the pm's GREEN Wire makes it work like it should...very cool upgrade!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Has anyone had any moisture problems with the MC2, got caught in the downpour on fri night and now my Helmet display has gone to bed..
sad.gif
I hope that Sportvue will replace the unit.

Back