sprockets and gear ratios

hawkwind racing

Registered
rock.gif

Hi guys
I'm installing a set of high ratio TTS 5th & 6th gears any one use these ?? looking for a set of sprockets to compliment these ,looking for high gearing as the power available is ample ie. NLR gen -1 oh and Im using a 12" over swing arm ( land speed racing ) I have a gear calculator but not the data for the busa ,standard gear ratios or for the TTS gears any one have these ?? will be using 530 tsabaki chain

rock.gif

Hi guys
I'm installing a set of high ratio TTS 5th & 6th gears any one use these ?? looking for a set of sprockets to compliment these ,looking for high gearing as the power available is ample  ie. NLR gen -1 oh and Im using a 12" over swing arm  ( land speed racing ) I have a gear calculator but not the data for the busa ,standard gear ratios or for the TTS gears any one have these ?? will be using 530 tsabaki chain
Some others here may know that info (I do not), but I bet NLR does... just call or email Seb at NLR and he can probably guide you in the right direction. He builds some high-speed bikes... otherwise John Noonan will also know.

I sure hope you post some pictures when you project is complete (and a few along the way too).

Is this what you need ? Just copy and paste into the seach window and go.

embose.jpg

1.596 primary
2.353 sprockets
2.615 1st
1.937 2nd
1.526 3rd
1.285 4th
1.136 5th
1.043 6th
Tire 76.75 or a true figure for your specific tire. It does make a difference.

If you are looking for top end go to 19/41m or 19/40. You will have the horse power. However you will not make the top endvery often so why over kill unless you are going to the flats. .

Good all around is a 18/40 still gets you 211gps but gets you there quick.
also 17/38 play around with the calculations and make it fit for you.

Thanks guys
I will run these through my gear calculator the high ratio 5th & 6th is 12% taller Im using mitchlin racing slicks that are shaved to 50% of there tread deapth which allows me to run to 250 mph
yes im using this bike for land speed racing ( salt lake racing ) so it is being set up for maximum speed on every run
kickass.gif

wink.gif

crunched the numbers for the overdrive 5th & 6th so we end up with
primary 1.596
1st 2.615
2nd 1.937
3rd 1.526
4th 1.285
5th 1.000
6th 0.917
stock I take it is 17/40 which equates to 234 mph @ 11k rpmwith the above overdrive gears your 19/40 = 262 mph @ 11k rpm I will try a 18/40 which will give me a top of 248mph
thanks for the information
Gary
kickass.gif

wink.gif

crunched the numbers for the overdrive 5th & 6th so we end up with
primary 1.596
1st      2.615
2nd     1.937
3rd     1.526
4th     1.285
5th     1.000
6th     0.917
stock I take it is 17/40 which equates to 234 mph @ 11k rpmwith the above overdrive gears your 19/40 = 262 mph @ 11k rpm I will try a 18/40 which will give me  a top of 248mph
thanks for the information
Gary
kickass.gif
You will not hit over 10800rpm so don't even calculate unless you have taken off your rev limiter.

You also have to take HP and wind resistance, tire spin which you will have. Even with your gearing I do not think you will see over 221mph measure gps or radar on the road, and less on the salt because of the extra spin. You would need about 450hp with your gearing to hit 230-240mph measured. Good luck and stay safe.

smile.gif

thanks mate
yes im well aware of the factors involved in achieving and maintaining a high top end, the busa I'm building will have an aftermarket fuel management system either an accell or motec and a dyna 4000 ign system so I can set the rev limit to what I wish .
here is some aerodynamic information for you speed freaks which places the busa at the top of the aero heap for production cycles
CdA = 3.037 feet 2
Cd = 0.561
A = 6.01 feet 2
these are from windtunnel testing with race crouched rider with the exception of frontal area which was the bike only I still need to do rolling resistance tests but from previous bikes 10% more HP is required to overcome this parasitic drag
what affects top end is mostly drag about 90% of the HP produced is needed to overcome wind resistance and about 10 % rolling resistance ( this is RWHP ) provided you have the power to pull top gear at redline the gear ratios mainly affect acceleration, so from these figures I will need around 300-310 RWHP to achieve 225 mph but remember that this is with a stock body hayabusa with aerodynamic improvements which are allowed in landspeed racing top speed will increase Im hoping for around 480 - 500 RWHP and will be making aerodynamic improvements and am hoping for 240mph I will try it out next meeting future improvements will be a change to methanol and ice intercooler and nitrous oxide direct port injection along with a one off fairing and vortex generators
yes you are correct that salt has a lower coefficient of friction than tarmac its about 70% of tarmac also the salt in Australia is of greater quallity than that at bonneville ,is harder and has greater traction than at bonneville that is why I try and gear as high as i can less tendancy to wheel spin
Gary

smile.gif

thanks mate
yes im well aware of the factors involved in achieving and maintaining  a high top end, the busa I'm building will have an aftermarket  fuel management system either an accell or motec  and a dyna 4000 ign system so I can set the rev limit to what I wish .
here is some aerodynamic information for you speed freaks which places the busa at the top of the aero heap for production cycles
CdA = 3.037 feet 2
Cd = 0.561
A  = 6.01 feet 2
these are from  windtunnel testing with race crouched rider  with the exception of frontal area which was the bike only  I still need to do rolling resistance tests but from previous bikes 10% more HP is required to overcome this parasitic drag
what affects top end is mostly drag about 90% of the HP produced is needed to overcome wind resistance and about 10 % rolling resistance ( this is RWHP ) provided you have the power to pull top gear at redline  the gear ratios mainly affect acceleration, so from these figures I will need around 300-310 RWHP to achieve 225 mph but remember that this is with a stock body hayabusa  with aerodynamic improvements which are allowed in landspeed racing top speed will increase  Im hoping for around 480 - 500 RWHP  and will be making aerodynamic improvements and am hoping for 240mph  I will try it out next meeting  future improvements will be a change to methanol and ice intercooler and nitrous oxide direct port injection  along with a one off fairing and vortex generators
yes you are correct that salt has a lower coefficient of friction than tarmac its about 70% of tarmac  also the salt in Australia is of greater quallity than that at bonneville ,is harder and has greater traction than at bonneville that is why I try and gear as high as  i can less tendancy to wheel spin
Gary
thumb2.gif
thumb.gif
Good luck. Sounds like a good place to try. Wish I could join you.

Just a small comment about the numbers.

>> CdA = 3.037 feet 2
>> Cd = 0.561
>> A  = 6.01 feet 2

As CdA = Cd x A
then 0.561 x 6.01 ft ^2 = 3.37 ft ^2

Steve

Back